United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 17 of 22
14 May 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Day 6

I did chapters 9 and 10 today. Chapter 9 was about personal pronouns and the dative case, and chapter 10 was about the dative case for nouns and introduced the verb "to go," which of course is irregular.

I might look at Millner's serial and oral course later on.

I purchased "Learn Ancient Greek" by the author of this Latin course and look forward to using it once I'm done with Latin.

There's no way I'll finish the course by tomorrow, so I'll take another week to finish the course. Then I'll start another wanderlust session once I'm finished with the Latin course and my Greek course arrives.
1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 18 of 22
16 May 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Day 7

I did most of chapter 11 today. It took me more than 40 minutes to complete the chapter, was is a little long. I usually finish a chapter in 25-30 to complete a lesson. Taking a day off from studying was a blow, I forgot a lot of vocabulary.

I studied the imperfect form today, which is one of my favorite forms of the past tense in languages.

I'll try to do more later today.

I'll post the rest of me finishing the book I'm using. I bought TYS Beginner's Latin today, which was probably a bad idea. It does have audio, so it might be good.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 19 of 22
18 May 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
I need to study more regularly. I did chapters 12 and 13 today, and they wore me out. I really got beat up today. I just quit the last translation exercise at the end of chapter 13.

I need to review my perfect and imperfect forms before moving on. I can't believe the book said the imperfect is "boring," I certainly find it challenging enough.

The one thing I appreciate is that it asks me to translate well-known passages from the Bible, so it's not too hard to puzzle out.

I think I don't like languages which are hard to figure out who the subject and object are, such as in reported speech when they are in the accusative.

On the bright side, I think I'm finally starting to understand cases, although it is hard sometime to remember all te case endings. Thankfully, I just want to learn how to read Latin, so that should make things easier.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 20 of 22
22 May 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
I did chapters 14 and 15 today, so I'm 75% complete, more or less. I quit some exercises because they were too difficult.

I really want this to be the first course I've ever finished, because I've never gone through a course before, just halfway through. But, man, I've getting discouraged and it's getting pretty hard. I definitely have more respect for the people who have been able to learn Latin to a high level. Although it's difficult, it's pretty rewarding to figure out a sentence.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 21 of 22
24 May 2012 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I did chapter 16 today, it's about the genitive. I thought it was pretty easy, although I mangled some of the translations, and it took me over 40 minutes to finish the lesson.

I'm still confident I'll finish the course, which would be the first time I've ever finished a language course. I don't know how much Latin I would have learned from completing the course, but it was fun, although sometimes frustrating.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 22 of 22
29 May 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I did about half of lesson 17, about the pluperfect.

People who commented on Latin were right: it is pretty hard, about as hard a language as I would want to try.

I need to review, because I still need to build up my vocab and grammatical knowledge.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version