ericblair
United States
Joined 4560 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 17 of 19
25 May 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone. I got some very thorough explanations in the Russian Help thread I
started as well. I will link it in case someone studying Russian comes along to this
later and wants to read a bit more:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=32533&PN=1
2 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4560 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 18 of 19
01 June 2012 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Wanted some input. I have a few very important tests coming up for work, so I am going
to stick with Assimil only until after they are over. However, after June 11, I should
have a month to a month and a half of down time before beginning a new big project. What
would be the best thing to do then in addition to staying on doing Assimil regularly?

I was thinking that might be a good time to just throw myself into the Penguin book and
get as far as I can in that time?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4560 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 19 of 19
18 June 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Figured it was time for another update! I'm finishing up Lesson 35 of Assimil today. I'm going to
begin the Russian Penguin course tomorrow! I'll start with chapter 3 as advised by a few people
on here. Tonight I'm going to read over the vocab in chapters 1&2 and make note cards of
anything new in there. I've been avoiding doing notecards on Assimil since I'm still in the peace
phase, but I think anything in the penguin course is fair game.

between now and around July 7th shall be quite challenging as I'll be traveling quite a bit and
sharing a hotel and car with a colleague for a good bit of that time. If I can stay on regular
studying through that time,I think it will become a much easier habit to keep up indefinitely.

Oh, and i've tinkered around a bit for what works best for me for Assimil recall:
1) Listen to the Russian with the book closed.
2) listen while reading the English.
3) listen while reading the Russian
4) listen to the Russian again, pausing after each line and repeating out loud (doing it line by line
helps ensure more accurate pronunciation) and then comparing with the English until I can say
the Russian translation properly while looking at the English
5) read the Russian out loud again without looking at the English translation
6) listen to the recording 2x; first looking at the English and 2nd at the Russian
7) repeat step 4
8) listen once with the book closed
9) listen a final time with the book closed, and stop after each sentence, repeating out loud

That is my slight tweak on the "Dutch with ease"directions that are so popular here. I've still not
figured out the best way to handle the review lessons, but I figured I wouldn't worry about that
too much since I'm in the passive wave still.

Honestly,I am not sure how to feel about where I'm at.i've got a whole mess of Russian jumbled
around in my head. I suppose the best thing is to see Assimil and the penguin cite through to
the end and hope it makes sense on the other side.

My apologies for any typos as i've typed this on my phone.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version