Diglot
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Serbian, French

Message 1 of 6
19 May 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
I am setting out to learn as much French as possible this summer. I am studying for the LSAT as well as 2 CLEP exams, but besides that I really don't have anything structured and so I am giving French ago. I already know German fairly well (B2ish) and am looking to add a second language. I am big fan of French literature and philosophy although being able to read Proust or Foucault in French is obviously a long way off.

So far i have logged 13 hours over the past week split between my Allez, Viens! Textbook (for highschoolers, but its the same series I learned German with and for $4 you cant beat it), some FSI (mostly for the audio), and some various Youtube videos (mostly in the form of children's songs to learn numbers, days of the week etc.)

So far so good. Summer lasts until mid august for me so that gives me about 12 or so weeks. I hoping to get around 120 hours. We'll see how I do.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4858 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 6
19 May 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Good luck and enjoy, I'm looking forward to reading about your progress :-)

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5240 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 6
19 May 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Chiming in to say good luck as well! If you like French
literature listen-reading may be for you.

sbelskie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 4 of 6
21 May 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the well wishes.

I definitely think I will look into some L-R, but I would like to get some basics of grammar down before that.
Yesterday I watched about forty minutes of some French videos on Youtube and did some work in the textbook. Today will be primarily work in the textbook and Anki for vocab. At this stage its mostly being able to actively call up vocab and remembering genders. Although only having two is nice. Three in German with no was to guess the gender always pissed me off.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4514 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 6
21 May 2012 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with French. I am a beginner at the language, too, trying to learn as much as possible before a trip to France next summer.

sbelskie
Diglot
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes

Message 6 of 6
22 May 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Very nice. I don't have any plans yet to visit France. But I hope to be spending next summer and Germany and if so will definitely make some weekend trips to France. Depending on where I end up for law school, I might also look into studying abroad for a summer or a semester in France.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version