United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian, Polish, Greek

Message 1 of 1
28 May 2012 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Hi there everybody!

I have decided to start a blog to kick start my language studies from now on. With school finishing soon there will be an increased amount of time to study! This log has targets set for around this time next year - 1st June 2013. I know the targets below are quite ambitious, but I love a challenge and am hopeful that success can be achieved with hard work. However, I intend to continue the blog after that date nonetheless, so hopefully this blog will continue for many years to come! Do feel free to get involved!

About me

I am a Sixth Form student in the UK, who would one day like to work for the EU Commission as a Conference Interpreter. I have a passion for languages, particlarly those of Eastern Europe.

Languages to be studied

French

I currently study French at school, and will be commencing the final year of 'A level' study from September, before hopefully studying it at University next year. Therefore, I will have access to regular classes, and will also be using Anki and courses such as 'Teach Yourself Improve your French' I also have the oppurtunity to visit France every few months on day trips with school or family.

Current level: Around B1

Target for the 1st June 2013 - C1

Russian

I LOVE Russia! I hope to study Russian at university too. I have no access to formal classes, and so will be teaching myself most of the time. I have access to some brilliant resources though. My plan for Russian is, in this order:

To work through 'Teach yourself Russian conversation' (Currently completed a few lessons)

To work through the Michel Thomas courses - I have all three

To work through 'Teach yourself Russian' coursebook

To work through 'The Penguin Russian course'

Current level Not even A1

Target for the 1st June 2013 - B1

Polish

I hope to study Polish at University too, and have some useful resources available for this language too. I also have regular access to native speakers at school. I aim to commence learning Polish in the following way:

Work through 'Teach yourself Polish conversation'

Work through 'Polish in 4 weeks'

Current level - Not even A1

Target level by 1st June 2013 - A2

Modern Greek

I visit Cyprus quite often in Summer with my family, and simply love the place and the culture. The language, with its exotic look and sound, certainly appeals to me a lot. I would simply love to be able to converse with locals and perhaps even order the meal in Greek one day! As a Catholic, learning Modern Greek will also prove a useful base to perhaps one day study Biblical Greek. I plan to study Modern Greek in the following way:

Work through 'Teach yourself Greek conversation'

Work through 'Teach yourself Greek'

Work through 'Learn Greek online' (a fantastic site with 105 Greek mini radio lessons with transcripts - completely free)

Current level - Not even A1

Irish

I am of Irish descent and would really love to be able to converse in what is my 'native language'. This will only be a 'casual language'. I will study Irish by:

Working through Giota Beag (BBC course)

Working through Giota Beag Eile (BBC course)

Working through RTÉ 'Easy Irish' course

Working through 'Erinsweb.com - (128 Irish lessons online)

Current level - More or less nothing

Hungarian

I happen to have befriended a Hungarian native speaker at school, and I really enjoy chatting to him about his homeland and its culture and language. He keeps on saying that I should start learning Hungarian - I am happy to oblige! This is only a 'casual' language, and I hope to be able to engage in light conversation with my friend at some point. I plan to study Hungarian by:

Using the beginner's series from 'HungarianPod 101'. This seems quite good, with lots of MP3s and PDFs being available.

Current level - Virtually nothing

Target by 1st June 2013 - A1

Spanish

I have been to Spain several times but do not speak much in the way of Spanish. I consider it to be quite a pleasant language to hear and would like to gain some basic skills at least. Having been to Spain, I can say it is a really nice place. I may also be able to benefit from the Spanish teachers at my school, and could possibly take the GCSE qualification next year. I will study Spanish in the following way:

Work through the 'La vida loca' BBC course

Work through the 'España Viva' BBC textbook

Current level - Largely nothing

Target by 1st June 2013 - A2

Thank you everybody!

Edited by Themessage on 29 May 2012 at 8:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version