aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 12
14 May 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
I have an opportunity to do this in my Junior year (2 years from now)

What is life in Spain like? What would it be like in 2 years do you think?
1 person has voted this message useful

akprocks
United States
Joined 5135 days ago

178 posts - 258 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 12
14 May 2011 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
I don't know, but planning your life two years in advance can be a pretty disappointing business.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 

Message 3 of 12
14 May 2011 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
akprocks wrote:
I don't know, but planning your life two years in advance can be a
pretty disappointing business.

I´m aware. I'm simply wondering, because it would be very nice.

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5128 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 4 of 12
14 May 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
I was only in Spain briefly several years ago, and mostly I just remember getting dehydration sickness. :( If you do have the chance to go to Spain (or anywhere else!) as an exchange student or study abroad, I think it's always worth it; the experiences will stick with you. I had to start planning my exchange programme a year in advance (went in high school with Rotary International).

I would suggest grabbing a copy of the Culture Shock! Spain book (I'm rather fond of that series), and reading up on some Spanish newspapers and see if you can find some news podcasts. Those will give you an idea of the events going on right now, the different views, as well as the major cultural differences that people might not think to mention to you.

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 

Message 5 of 12
14 May 2011 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Is there a water problem in Spain?

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5122 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 6 of 12
14 May 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
It really depends on what you want out of your time in Spain, what you're interested
in, etc.

Life in Spain is like life anywhere. There are good things and bad things. If you're
used to silence, you might have trouble with the noisiness of Spanish towns. The
weather is not all blazing sunshine all the time, and in a lot of places the winters
are chilly, especially because central heating is relatively rare.

The food is wonderful. The culture generally values friendship and family. People are
not nearly as religious as they were in the past. Most people work very hard and long
hours, but unemployment is high. Violent crime is relatively rare, pickpocketing in the
cities, relatively common.

Depending on where you're from, it might feel sometimes like you've stepped back into
1975, but it's an illusion - Spain is a very modern country. Immigration is becoming
normal and more accepted, I saw a (very positive) report the other day on TV about the
first Chinese taxi driver in Valencia, but people are still really aware of racial
differences and can sometimes be unaware that things they say, or their actions (like
doing that eye-pulling thing when talking about Asian people) could be construed as
racist, which can come as a shock to people from the US or UK. But hateful racism and
discrimination is not common (as far as I know). Gay rights are generally accepted.

You can see the latest movies, you can watch the latest US TV shows, either in English
or dubbed into Spanish, but that helps your language skills. Spanish TV is generally
not great, but there are a few shows which are absolute gems. Games, books, music are
all available. High speed broadband is normal in cities and towns. Mobile phones are
the latest models.

The dress code is casual. You can be as smart or scruffy as you like. Clothing shops
are fashionable and often good quality.

The cost of living is pretty much the same as anywhere in the West. It's not cheap, and
you can't live on a dollar a day unless you want to get ill.

Away from touristy areas, people generally don't speak much English or are shy about
it. This is changing, but for the moment it means that it is very easy to practice your
Spanish skills.

It's a wonderful country, and it's changing fast. In two years time, who knows what
will have happened.

As for water, it depends on where you live. Where I am, in Madrid, you can drink the
tap water and it tastes fine to me. I wouldn't drink the tap water in Canarias, though.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5185 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 

Message 7 of 12
14 May 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Very insightful. I hope nothing goes completely wrong in the government or economy in
Spain. Like you said we can't know where it's going.

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4830 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 8 of 12
14 May 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
@Akao - things cannot exactly get any worse at the minute and it's still a lovely place
to visit =) Yet may I ask where in Spain? Because the country varies widely!!!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version