Joined 5335 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 9 of 12
14 May 2011 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Akao wrote:
Very insightful. I hope nothing goes completely wrong in the government
or economy in Spain. Like you said we can't know where it's going.

It's extremely unlikely that "something will go completely wrong." Spain is a modern
western country just like the USA, Canada and other parts of Europe. The unemployment
situation there has been quite bad since the financial crisis began, but otherwise the
country is very much like your own. I visited Spain last summer, and most of the
differences are cultural.

As for a water problem, it really depends what you mean. If you're asking if you can
drink from the taps, I think the general answer is yes. However; just like anywhere
else, you should always check with the locals. As for availability of water, you
certainly don't need to worry about turning on the tap and nothing coming out.

I hope you do decide to go to Spain to learn Spanish. You'll have a great time and will
pick up the language fast in the immersion environment.
1 person has voted this message useful

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 12
14 May 2011 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Alexander86 wrote:
@Akao - things cannot exactly get any worse at the minute and it's
still a lovely place
to visit =) Yet may I ask where in Spain? Because the country varies widely!!!

I'm actually not sure. The exchange would be in two years so I haven't gotten any details
at all. I'd like to go to a coastal city or near the French border so I could stop in
France at some point.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5066 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 12
18 May 2011 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Things will probably hit rock bottom within two years, so it's all up from there :)

July's post is pretty accurate so I'll only add that although we had less of that crap you call political correctness in the past, we're catching up very quickly, so you might feel pretty much at home.

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 12 of 12
17 July 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
I would really love to be an exchange student in Spain, particularly the Basque Country, since I'm studying Basque and would love to be immersed in it. It's extremely expensive (probably $10,000 for 6 months of exchange), I think there might be a small chance that I'll go. If I do, it would probably be the Spring semester of 2012. I get excited just thinking about it. :D

I don't particularly care for Spanish though, and while I haven't studied it in the past, it would be very easy for me to learn and pick up while I was there, but my main focus would be Basque, as it's my most favorite language (and that's an understatement! I'm obsessed with it).

You should definitely go if you have the chance, it would be well worth it.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version