Joined 4715 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 17 of 81
15 July 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Wulfgar wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
English has more words than any other language.

Which language has more words than English?

Wikipedia wrote:
Comparisons of the vocabulary size of English to that of other languages are generally not taken very seriously by linguists and lexicographers. Besides the fact that dictionaries will vary in their policies for including and counting entries, what is meant by a given language and what counts as a word do not have simple definitions. Also, a definition of word that works for one language may not work well in another, with differences in morphology and orthography making cross-linguistic definitions and word-counting difficult, and potentially giving very different results. Linguist Geoffrey K. Pullum has gone so far as to compare concerns over vocabulary size (and the notion that a supposedly larger lexicon leads to "greater richness and precision") to an obsession with penis length.

I think this is the fourth time I've quoted this passage on the Internet..
21 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4565 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 18 of 81
15 July 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
If you go to country X and speak their language, you will always be answered in English.

You are too old to learn a language.

People who speak other languages found it easy because of their special talent.

Hungarian is the hardest language in the world
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 6022 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 81
15 July 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Norwegian is the hardest language to learn in the world - or at least a really hard
language to learn. A ranking of some sort is often referred to where Norway apparently
came fourth.

Obviously nonsense. For English speakers, Norwegian is one of the easiest. I'm still
surprised by how prevalent this idea though. My dad, who's generally a very sensible
sceptic, brought it up when we were talking about my English girlfriend learning
Norwegian.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4952 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 81
15 July 2012 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
1. quite anywhere in the world: Our language is the most difficult to learn.

2. "modern" textbooks and teachers: explaining grammar is harmful for learning

3. Learning a language is just about memorising. (usually followed by something like
"I'm bad at languages because I am clever and I prefer to think logically than to
memorise)

4. German is the easiest language for a czech to learn.

5. English is the easiers foreign language to learn.

6. It's useless to learn (add any other than the most popular or the second most
popular language in your area).

7. You can't teach yourself a language to a high level.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4581 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 21 of 81
15 July 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Coheed wrote:
Wulfgar wrote:

Which language has more words than English?

Some people might say Arabic. It is said that some words or terms in Arabic can be
expressed in countless different ways. Besides, Arabic is notorious for the wideness and
complexity of its vocabulary. I don't know if actual speakers of Arabic could confirm or
deny the veracity of such rumors...

It is indeed true that Arabic has a very wide range of synonyms for most terms, and this has played a role in how dialects work as well: from one regional variety to another, there might be a different word for an everyday item, but many times each of the different words is a synonym meaning the same thing, derived from Classical Arabic. Also worth mentioning is that loan words from other languages into dialects may also make the vocabulary seem larger. Another difference is that many of these synonyms are not merely composite words or words built upon other words. The root system and the subtleties of the verb system also make some texts quite complex. However, I don't think this necessarily means Arabic has more words than any other language. It's all relative, and as someone stated earlier, it sometimes depends on how the dictionary decides to count a word in English. Furthermore, it's not like a student planning to reach a C1 or C2 level in Arabic has to know all the various synonyms of the words.
Similar things can be said of Persian and other languages, however.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5636 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 22 of 81
15 July 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Basque is a dialect of Spanish.

(According to my Catalan professor, it was none other than Franco himself who started this "urban legend", when he officially classified all Spain's regional languages as "Spanish dialects".)
3 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5534 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 23 of 81
15 July 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 

psy88 wrote:

2.Just by being exposed to your target language you can pick it up by osmosis, as in the movie The Thirteenth Warrior.

That's not an UL. It would actually need serious effort to not pick up anything at all if you are surrounded by people who speak the language.

[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. Of course you would pick up some words, expressions, etc. I was referencing the idea of total command/fluency just by exposure.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 81
15 July 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Basque is a dialect of Spanish.

(According to my Catalan professor, it was none other than Franco himself who started this "urban legend", when he officially classified all Spain's regional languages as "Spanish dialects".)

The same thing is going on in China...

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version