Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 1 of 27
30 December 2010 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Welcome to my Team TAC-journal. I wanted to join this, because I found the idea of joining a team quite interesting and motivating. In my first few posts I will specify my current status in those languages that I am going to work on this year, my goals, as well as list the materials I am planning to use. I will also update those lists throughout the year (suggestions are always welcome)
Later I am also going to talk about those languages, which are not going to be my main-focus this year, as well as new languages that could probably be taken up at some later point this year.

I decided to mainly focus on Hungarian and Italian this year. I have the same goal for both of them. I want to reach a C1-level and mainly increase my speaking ability. I am now roughly at B1/2 in both of them and there is a good chance that I will need them in my job by the end of the year (which I am quite exited about)

OT: Even though I looked for it an read the instructions, I could not find the "add tags"-button. Maybe someone could help me with that? Maybe I just don't have it ...

Edited by Lapislazuli on 30 December 2010 at 12:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 2 of 27
30 December 2010 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN:
I started Hungarian in 2005 and still don’t feel very comfortable using this language. I have been working on it on and off for the last years and I also feel a bit impatient about my progress, as I guess it is much too slow. I understand a lot in spoken and written language, but it is still all very slow. When I listen to someone talk then I am still translating everything in my head, which prevents me from following the actual speech. This means I will listen to a lot of Hungarian radio, watch films and read some books. And then I think I will also have to find a new language partner to talk with. The girl I used to meet every now and then starts developing a tendency of using those rare meetings to mainly practice her German and then only start speaking in Hungarian when she getting tired (and then I am tired too). I know I should be more persistent about speaking in my target language, but lately I have only seen her at times when I was very tired and absorbed with other things and that made me lazy and less motivated for language learning. There lies the main problem about me actually speaking my target languages, as long as I am still insecure with a language I also tend to be shy and lazy at the same time when it comes to speaking. So, working on that will also be a big part of reaching my language goals this year.

What I am going to use:
I hope this list can give some ideas to other learners, and I am also always open for suggestions and recommendations at any time.

Written material:

Magazines
Magyarul tanulók (language learning magazines)
Magyar narancs

Literature:
Harry Potter és a főnix rendje (currently reading)
Harry Potter és a félvér herceg
Harry Potter és a halál ereklyéi (after those I will have finished my project of reading the whole Harry Potter series in Hungarian)
Ambultan utazása (Kiss Attila) – a fantasy-novel that I bought in Budapest lately, apparently it is based on Hungarian mythology or legends, and this I find extremely interesting)
Rudolf (John T. Salvendy) – a historical biography of Crownprince Rudolf
Magyar legendák
Mondák Mátyás királyról

This will be completed by reading some newspaper-reading online. Probably Népszabadság

Movies/ TV
Eltüntek (Lost) 1. season
Abigél – Hungarian movie based on the novel “Abigél” by Magda Szabó, which I read a while ago

Audiobooks that can be found at Magyar Elektronikus Könyvtár (titles to be added later)
Listening to Hungarian radiostations such as Rádio Kossúth

Edited by Lapislazuli on 30 December 2010 at 1:04am

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 3 of 27
30 December 2010 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
ITALIAN:
I studied Italian more then ten years ago, and I even took a B1 level CELI-test back in 1998. At that point I must have spoken Italian quite comfortably, but in all those years of hardly speaking any Italian, those abilities vanished and I have to dig them out again.

I started to repeat all the grammar with a book that I bought a few months ago. I seem to have had forgotten a lot of it, but it is quickly coming back. Then I also want to increase my vocabulary a lot. Also here I am going to need someone to talk to at some point.

What I am going to use:

Grammar:
Große Lerngrammatik – italienisch (Hueber) used mainly as a reference
Großes Übungsbuch – italienisch (Hueber) exercises

Literature:
Cacciatori di vampiri (Colleen Gleason) – I saw this at a trainstation-bookshop on my last trip to Italy, it was cheap and I like books about vampires, so I could not resist, even though I have no idea whether it is going to be interesting …)
L’angelo della morte (Francesco Falconi) – looks like quite an intriguing Urban Fantasy-novel, which is my preferred genre of reading at the moment ….
L’ombra del vento (Carlos Ruiz Zafón)
Il nome della rosa (Umberto Eco)
I am especially looking forward to the last two books, even though I think those will be a bit more challenging to read, but then I also think I will progress a lot faster in Italian then in Hungarian.

Audio:
Audiobooks (at first especially those that can be found at LingQ) at the moment I am working through:
Cuore (Edmondo de Amicis)

TV:
Different Italian TV-shows that I can find online. I must confess I have become quite addicted to those cheesy, historical mini-series, and I always seem to find new ones once I have finished watching one, which is definitely a good thing. At the moment I am watching
“Il falco e la colomba”

OUTPUT (in Hungarian and Italian)
This is definitely what I will have to work on this year. I have no trouble with spending a lot of time getting a lot of input, but as long as I don’t have enough output, I won’t progress as well as I could. Especially as my specific aim is now becoming able to produce some sensible output. So in order to achieve that, there are going to be two things that I hope to spend a lot of time on.

-     write something in my languages as often as possible and post it at lang-8 (and I had an idea about what this “something” could be this morning, and I am really exited about it. I am going to explain that idea in a later post …)
-     find a language partner to talk to on a regular basis

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 4 of 27
30 December 2010 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
OTHER LANGUAGES
I also plan to practice my other languages every now and then. At least passively. I don’t have much possibility to practice Swedish actively very often. But I am not worried about that right now, I guess I will get this possibility probably soon enough.

And then around Easter my sister’s in-laws are going to come visiting from Mexico, and they don’t speak anything but Spanish, so I will certainly use that occasion to dig out my Spanish, and hope not to completely mess up my Italian.

This year I more or less surprisingly ended up reading a the one or the other book in French, and doing the dramaturgical work for my theatre-group’s performance of “Hotel de deux mondes” which involved comparing the whole German translation of the play with the French original, which was rather educational. But I don’t really plan to do much in French this year. This language anyway tends to pop up at the most surprising moments in my life, and then I am also taking the chance. But I still don’t like French enough to spend much time with it.

I think there is not much use to mention English here. I’ll still do it for the sake of completeness. I am not actively working on it, as it has become part of my daily life anyway, so I let it more or less take care of itself. I am using it at work, read books, listen to audiobooks and watch movies in English without thinking much about it. I really would like to reach such a state with some of my other languages too. A state where I know them well enough so maintaining them will not cost any effort an will just become a normal part of my day, so I can focus more on new languages, or the not yet so strong ones.

NEW LANGUAGES:
There are two options: Czech or Russian. I think I am going to pick Czech, as it is a lot easier to travel somewhere, where it is spoken, and the probability that I will travel to the Czech Republic anytime soon is so much higher for me then travelling to Russia soon. But still will start Russian soon after that. I already tried to start once, and already collected a lot of learning materials. I even bought a Russian keyboard last year in St. Petersburg, that is now waiting for being used on my shelf. The availability of Russian materials is generally high, so it is also probably one of the languages, where one does not have to visit the country for a long time and still become quite proficient in the language.

Edited by Lapislazuli on 30 December 2010 at 1:20am

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5545 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 5 of 27
30 December 2010 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Best of luck with your studies in 2011. I'll be very interested in your Italian news as
you are a few steps ahead of me. I tried to find "Il falco e la colomba" on Rai but was
unable. The thought of a cheesy historical mini-series is irresistible; where did you
find it?

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5189 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 6 of 27
30 December 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
It seems like we should be able to help each other quite a lot in our Team Ő because we are both beginners in languages that the other knows well - Hungarian for me and Czech for you. I'll be very happy to help you with Czech whenever you start and hopefully sooner rather than later I'll be able to write to you in Hungarian to give you an extra push in that if you need it.

Good luck. I hope we can help each other a lot this year.

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 7 of 27
30 December 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
@ oasis88: I am glad to have made someone curious about those ;-)
Here is a link to Il falco e la colomba. It is on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZITmsuCK20&feature=related
It is subtitled in Spanish. I have seen you also have Spanish on your list, so you might find that eighter helpful or distracting. I personally try to ignore those subtitles as good as I can.

You might also want to try "L'onore e il rispetto". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4O_jZw4gag
It is kind of a mafia story. Not as cheesy as some other mini-series, but highly dramatic and emotional.

I also wish you much fun and sucsess with your studies.

Edited by Lapislazuli on 30 December 2010 at 9:20pm

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 8 of 27
30 December 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
@ hibecek: Yes, I also thought, this is a good coincidece, that you already know Czech quite well. And I would be glad help you with Hungarian, if I can.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version