Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 10 of 27
12 January 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
@Buttons: Glad to see you here. I am also reading your log every now and then and I find it very inspiring.

I think I won't get to post here every week, but I hope it will be at least on a regular basis. At least in this moment it looks like this year won't be as busy for me as the last year (though more productive, I hope ...), so I think I will have enough time for my languages. Though I know myself enough to tell it even now, that there will be times, when I will be very dedicated to my languages, and then there will also be times where I am dedicated to other things.

I am keeping track now of what I am doing, how long and for which language. So in a whole from the beginning of january until this moment I spent 17,5 hours with my languages:

HUNGARIAN:
This was mainly reading "Harry Potter és a Fönix rendje". I read it whenever I can. On public transport and before I fall asleep (I should actually say while I am falling asleep ...) Though, when I have the time, on days where I don't have to work and nowhere else to go I also spend at least one hour in the morning with the book, reading and looking up the words I don't know and also taking notes of related words that I find useful and writing all of them down to put them into Anki later.

ITALIAN:
Here I've had more variety. Firstly I finished watching "Il falco e la colomba" (here I also sometimes looked up words in an online dicitonary and directly typed them to Anki). Then I am currently working with the audiobook "Cuore" found at LingQ, again for collecting words. And then on those mornings where I have the time, which was twice so far I spent one hour with grammar exercises in the above mentioned book (Großes Übungsbuch italienisch), which I find very useful, because most thing I ever learned about Italian grammar over ten years ago are now burried at the most hidden places of my brain and have to be found again, but this book does a good job in that.

SWEDISH:
This was a surprise. I found some Swedish movies and TV-shows on youtube (especially Beck and Wallander) and I am really happy to have found a possibily to see them in Swedish. Well, I am not so keen on Wallander, but I really enjoy Beck. And then yesterday after having watched one full episode, I realised my brain had switched to thinking in Swedish. Now I really start longing to travel to Sweden again. I already started thinking about getting a summer job there this year ... Hmm, let's see ...
1 person has voted this message useful

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 11 of 27
22 January 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Somehow this week I became a bit lazy when it comes to making notes on how much time I spent with my languages. Sometime this motivates me a lot, but not at the moment. Which does not mean that I did not do anything with languages. It was quite a productive week in different ways.

ITALIAN:
I must admit, that there was less Italian this week. But since yesterday I have some new studying materials. A friend of mine had to take an exam for school in Italian, he now passed this exam and has not the slightest intention to use any Italian word in his life again (yey to that school-system, it is really good in spoiling people's fun with languages). This sad story's good part for me is that he decided to give me all of his studying materials, as he thought I would be able to appreciate them more :-) So now I have a large paperbag here filled with grammar book, flash cards and vocabulary traing materials. So next week I am going to be busy looking at all those things and deciding what of it could be of any use to me, and then I will give the rest to another friend of mine, who started Italian this year (and she is acatually so enthusiastic that she almost freaks out with happiness with every Italian word she gets to hear)

HUNGARIAN
I am having a small break with Harry Potter now, as there is something else I want to read in between (in German, but I also need to read something in German every now and then, I find that very important as well) But I now started listening a lot to Hungarian radio and reading newspapers online (although news about Hungary do not affect my mood in a very positive way nowadays) When listening to the radio I found out that I am likely to understand a lot when I know most of the vocabulary used in the program. But there are also lots of specific programs, where I still have troubles figuring out what it is actually about. That is a bit frustrating, but I hope it will get better as I continue listening on a regular basis.

SWEDISH:
It is very strange how this language steals its way back into my life. After returing form my exchange semester in 2005 I did not have so much possibility to speak it. I of course watched Swedish movies, read books every now and then. Although it got a bit rusty it is still one of my strongest languages at the moment, but back here in Austria I actually failed in making it really a part of my life. It is actually quite difficult to achieve that here. But since last week I felt a certain longing for Sweden and the Swedish language again, I started to make plans of going to work there this summer (maybe plans and dreams are all I am going to have of this, as I am not quite sure now whether it will really be possible) and then I did something else. Some time ago I heard that the Scandinavian studies department here at the university has it's own choir now, and I had been looking for a choir I could join anyway, I had been in one for some years, and since I left it I actually missed singing a lot. So I joined that Scandinavian-studies-choir. It seems to be a funny bunch of people and they sing in lots of Scandianvian languages. In that one rehearsal I have been in, we had songs in Swedish, Norvegian, Danish, Icelandic, Faroese, Finnish and even one in Latvian. So I think it is definitely going to be interesting to be in that choir.

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 12 of 27
25 January 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
One of the things I found in the bag of Italian-materials I got last week (see above) is a box of flashcards, called "Express Wortschatz - italienisch". It contains 400 pre-made flashcards, the writing on the box says with 1000 words and today I worked through one third of those, then I got bored. They are just too easy for me, which I knew beforehand, but I feared there might still many basic words that I have certainly forgotten, but I was glad to find out that this is not true. To make things a bit more difficult I tried to think of the Hungarian translations as well (as I always have the feeling I am lacking so many basic Hungarian words, but apparently my vocabulary is not that bad ...)

I did that more or less as a self-test, and somehow I had been thinking that box might have some higher level, at least A2/B1 (there is nothing written on the box) but it's rather A1/A2 - and as I claim to be B1/B2 in both languages I am glad, I knew almost all of the words in this box ;-)
Though I think my other friend, who started with Italian this summer will find this box more useful then I do ....

The Stephen
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4892 days ago

65 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Czech, Hungarian

Message 13 of 27
27 January 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Szia, Lapislazuli!

Just checking out your log. I didn't know you'd been studying Hungarian so long. It's so cool that you've read so much of it. I have a feeling you're underestimating yourself in your skills a little bit, but I guess we all do that. ;)

I'm finding this thread very useful for resources too. I'm listening to Kóssuth Rádio right now, in fact. Even though I don't understand a lick of it (except I can pick out some of the suffixes).

Just know that I'm impressed, if it helps at all. :)

Víszlat,

The Stephen

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5189 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 14 of 27
27 February 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Szia Lapislazuli

Hogy vagy? Remélem, hogy még Team ő-ben vagy és hogy még itt akarsz folytatni, Team ő-nek nagyon fontos vagy!

Már kezdted a cseh nyelvvel?

Minden jót

Hříbeček

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6876 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 

Message 15 of 27
28 March 2011 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 

Ó sziaztok! Nem láttam, hogy írtatok. Még mindig itt vagyok. De igaz, hogy nagyon régen nem irtam a naplómban. Igazság, hogy ebben egy kicsit lusta voltam. Mindig azt mondtam nekam, hogy holnap fogok csinálni.
De azt is kell mondani, nagyon örülök, hogy a magyar csapátunk olyan elradtatva és a tarsunk sikerjükről is!

Befejeztem az ötös Harry Potter-t és kezdettem a hatost egy héttel ezelőtt. Az olvasás valóban sokkal jobban és gyorsabban megy, mint pár honappal mulva.
Én is minden estét a Kossuth-rádiót hallgassom. Én sem értem mindent. Nagyon a programtól függ. Ha van olyan téma amit jól ismerem mint a színház, az irodalom vagy ilyesmint egéz jól tudom érteni, de még mindig is sok olyan programok van ami nehéz nekem. De legalább egy kis haladát lehet érezni.

Most egy kurzusba járok, hogy legyek idegenvezető, de ez Kismartonban (németül: Eisenstadt) és a kurzus után túl késő hogy visszamegyek Becsbe. Ugy egyszer a hétben éjzakázom a tanulásintézet vendégházában. És ott van valami gyöngyörű: egy tévé amivel magyar tévét lehet nézi. Csak egy progamot, de az elég nekem. Altalában esten van egy film, és az nagyon jol tartom. Csak egy héttel ezelőtt egy kicsit csalódott voltam, mert volt egy foci-mecs, és nekem a foci nagyon unalmas.

Itt van egy kis csemegét amit nemrég találtam. Itt lehet sok sórozat látni magyar nyelvben.
http://online-sorozatok.hu/sorozatok.php
Jó szorakozást!

So here a short summary in English. Even though I have not been updating my journal, I did something in Hungarian almost every day. I finished reading Harry Potter vol. 5 and now I started vol. 6. and I also listen to Radio Kossuth every evening. I am fairly content with my progress, but especially when listening to the radio I get to see (or better hear) how much I still have to learn.

I also did a bit of Italian, but not as much. I decided to take a break of my grammar book, because I started to get bored to tears. At the moment I am mainly working with the audiobook and text of "Coure" at LingQ.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5189 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 16 of 27
29 March 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Nagyon jó, hogy még itt aktív vagy és köszönöm a linket, biztos vagyok, hogy nekünk segít.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version