Groupie
United States
Joined 5223 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin, German

Message 9 of 9
04 May 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Nine months later, I'm still working on languages. My primary focus has been Japanese,
because I want to go to Japan next year, and (BIG GOAL:) I'm planning on taking the
JLPT 2 in December. Since I'm living in Vietnam I'm also working on Vietnamese.

For the past six months I've been taking 90 minute Japanese classes 4-5 times a week.
Say what you like about the classroom setting, but I find it difficult to believe that
four 90 minute comprehensible all-Japanese lectures a week isn't a fairly productive
way to spend my time. I feel like my listening comprehension has improved considerably.
And in the last month the class stepped up the pace with learning vocabulary, so I've
learned nearly 600 words in the past 30 days. I've been using Anki to help me do this,
and it's solidly part of my routine at this point.

On the other hand, I find the improvement in my reading ability disappointing. I have
yet to discover anything written for native speakers that doesn't force me to rely on
rikai-chan for every fourth word. I tried L-R with 銀河鉄道の夜 and became completely
lost, even though I've been trying to read it for a long time. I've found two sites
that have given me good reading material though:
this collection of short
articles
and the Japanese page which has a
fairly short and simple fairy tale available from the ebooks page. I'm almost finished
with these though, and I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm also going to start posting on lang-8 again, this time in Japanese. I made one
entry and the motivating rush that followed was very strong, so I hope to be able to
continue this. It seems like there are a fair amount of people who will correct my
Japanese, whereas with French I sometimes didn't get any corrections, and I'm sure it
wasn't because my French was perfect.

One other thing I'm doing for Japanese. I got an ipod touch for my birthday so I've
been using the app KanjiBox at every opportunity to review and improve my Japanese. It
has placed me solidly in JLPT3 area, so I think JLPT 2 by December could be within my
reach.

Vietnamese is really difficult, particularly remembering the vocabulary, and of that
especially remembering the tones. I'm not really sure what to do to improve, other than
be more diligent in my homework and flashcards. I might try posting on lang-8 as well--
there seem to be an acceptable amount of Vietnamese learners there.

I got a Kindle and I have several Spanish and French books on it, and even my Latin
textbook (though I would like to make it more readable). Right now I feel like
improving my Japanese is so urgent that I don't have time to waste with other
languages, but if I get bored or start to feel otherwise, I've got easy access to
plenty of material.

Edited by Rhadryn on 04 May 2012 at 7:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version