Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Dutch, Japanese

Message 9 of 24
28 December 2011 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
A bit late but merry christmas everyone.

Someone this year bought me Assimil dutch. I wasn't expecting this, and had no plans
beforehand of learning dutch, but I decided to take it up anyway. However it does sort
of make sence as being a quarter dutch myself and having spent a lot of time with the
dutch side of my family (my mum can't speak it though sadly) I can understand it mostly
pretty well, even though I can barely make a sentence.

So anyway I've completed Assimil : perfectionnement allemand so I've spent the last few
days just watching German series on the internet and writing any words I don't know on
flashcards. I've also almost finished the passive phase of assimil japanese (I'll then
have to redo the 50 last lessons). Also had to do a lot of siting around in a car over
christmas going to see relatives so relistened to pretty much every lesson on my MP4
player at least 5 times. Also been making more flashcards.

As for dutch I've gone through so far the first 10 lessons of assimil. Also downloaded
a load of dutch music onto my mobile and been trying to find some dutch penfriends to
speak to (my relatives all being at least over 25, so if anyone who speaks dutch wants
to practice their English/french I'm happy to talk on skype or whatever. Same going for
german or japanese.

Anyway hope everyone on this forum had a merry christmas.
1 person has voted this message useful

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes

Message 10 of 24
07 January 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Okay I'd like to first wish people here a (very) happy new year. I have been really busy starting school again. The good thing about french school though is that although it's really long (from 8 till 6 usually) I get a lot of free periods, which I can use to study without being disturbed by other trivial matters.

So anyway I noticed that although I can get around in German quite easily and manage to get my point accross, I really don't know that much specialized vocabulary in any subject, which is quite hampering when I want to talk about anything that doesn't concern what I have been doing during the day. I've therefore decided to try and learn at least 20 words that I would find usefull every day (I either go on internet and read stuff or just browse a dictionnary, although I prefer to see a word in context first) aswell as watch a load of German series.
So anyway here they are could someone specify if there's any distinct way you have to use these?

auf dem laufenden sein : be up to date? (être au courrant in french)
abergläubisch : supersticious
folglich : consequently
das wettbewerbsfähigkeit : competitiveness (markets)
der Zins : interest (on monney)
zunehmend : increasing
der Aussenhandel : international commerce
herabsetzen : to lower a price
heraufsetzen : to increase a price
aufkaufen : to buy in masses
verschleudern : sell off at a reduced price
der Ersnt der Lage : the gravity of the situation
vertraulich : confidentialy
der Börsenkrach : financial krach
ehe : before (not sure how I didn't know this but whatever)
das Vermögen : the fortune
aus Erster Hand

Otherwise as for dutch not much I got to lesson 20 in Assimil yesterday (I've been doing 1-2 per day depending on my mood) and have downloaded a load of dutch music onto my mobile. I've also started trying to read dutch articles on the internet.

As for japanese, I've finally finished Assimil, even though I have to go through the second half again. I don't know why but the last 10-15 chapters seemed so hard compared to the other ones. I had to listen to them all about 30-40 times to get them to stick in my memory and have tried to listen to those lessons in particular (along with others aswell when I'm bored) on my mobile. I also bought a book called 漢字書きたい, which gives me roughly 600 kanji and examples words with each one. I know I could find all this on the internet but it was really cheap and I like how it doesnt give words most people use once in there lifetimes, like neutron spectoscopy (中性子分光法 ?)if I so much as get the kanji 中 (which is one of the first people seem to learn). I'm at about 100 kanji at the moment.

Anyway again happy new year and lots of luck with your languages studies

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes

Message 11 of 24
10 April 2012 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Hi
I haven't poste anything here for months mainly cos I didn't have any time with evil
school exams, then just pretty much forgot about this (no this doesn't mean I didn't
have any time for language learning, just for hanging around on internet forums).
However since I'm on holiday at the moment I figured I might aswell start this up
again, though just to reccord what I do, not make really long boring posts with all
these boring details no one cares about anyway.

Anyway quick summary of what I've been up to for the last few months :

Japanese : I finished Assimil : le japonais sans peine volumes 1 and 2. Since then I've
just been whatching japanese dramas on internet (without subtitles though) and about a
month ago I bought Remembering the Kanji (at about 1220 at the moment). Also got some
japanese friends who I chat with regularly on skype / facebook. I don't know if I
mentionned this before or not (too lazy to read) but I'll also be going to Japan for a
year this august.

German : just a lot of reading with a dictionnary, writing down any words I don't know
and learning them later. That and boring classes at school. Also whatching series I
like dubbed in German.

Dutch : at lesson 75 of Assimil : le néerlandais sans peine. Also started whatching
some stuff in dutch on the internet. I had to give dutch up for a few weeks though due
to lack of time (school).

So anyway today :

Japanese : 40 RTK kanji. And hour and a half of whatching this japanese series called
花より男子 (yes drama is evil I know :/ )
German : about an hour and a half of reading articles on die Zeit Online about
terrorists and so on. Got about 70 words from that (I tend to go through words with
Iversen style word lists [thanks a lot for that] and then put them into anki).
Dutch : assimil lessons 72 73 and 74. Also spent half an hour watching random dutch
youtube videos.

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes

Message 12 of 24
11 April 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
German : about an hour and a half-two hours reading online newspapers, out of which I got
about 70 words which I spent around half an hour learning. Also finally received a book I
ordered on Amazon : der Gotteswahn. I'll start reading that tomorow.

Japanese : another 37 RTK kanji (I've been quite lazy today). Spent some time talking to
a friend on facebook in japanese too.I also watched about 2 hours of 花より男子 again. It's
quite addictive to be honest.

Dutch : Assimil lessons 75 76 and 77. Spent some time downloading some dutch music too.

Edited by Rivso on 11 April 2012 at 11:56pm

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes

Message 13 of 24
11 April 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
As I was out most of today I didn't have much time sadly :(

German : spent about and hour and a half while in a car reading der Gotteswahn which
arrived yesterday. Spent about a quarter of an hour doing word lists (30 words).

Dutch : Assimil lessons 78 79 and 80.

Japanese : 30 RTK kanji, finished the 花より男子 series.

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes

Message 14 of 24
13 April 2012 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Again didn't have much time today as I spent most of it sitting in a car.

German : An hour this morning reading articles on die Welt online newspaper

Dutch : Assimil lessons 81 82 83

Japanese : 50 RTK kanji. Going to go find some japanese film or other to watch before bed
too.

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes

Message 15 of 24
15 April 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
I was away all weekend and had just about no opportunities what so ever to do any
studying sadly, b

German : spent about an hour or so reading "Der Gotteswahn" and die Zeit online,
learned another 30 or so new words.

Dutch : assimil lesson 84.

Japanese : 30 RTK kanji. As I'm amost three quarters of my way through this book too I
figured I would start learning sentences using the kanji I know. Sentences seem more
logical to start off with especially with a language like japanese where the grammar is
so different. I also noticed when I do more than about 30 or so kanji per day I start
to get burned out and don't remember them aswel, so this should instead be good to
revise those kanji I've already learned. Maybe I should make sure to get a sentence for
each kanji I learn every day, although that might lead to a lot of sentences I'd have
to learn every day. Oh well I'm on holiday after all.

Rivso
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 4717 days ago

41 posts - 50 votes

Message 16 of 24
17 April 2012 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
German : an hour and a half or so of reading online forums, got about 50 new words out of
that.

Dutch : Assimil lessons 85 and 86. About half an hour of watching dutch videos on youtube

Japanese : 30 RTK kanji, went through 20 sentences which I added to Anki. I also started
watching Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, at episode at the moment

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version