52 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 52
07 February 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
I am going to travel to Spain in August/September this year so I hope to be "fluent" by then. My travelling companion is a friend from Germany who just started to learn Spanish with Rosetta Stone. I have never worked with it myself but I know that most people on this forum don't think it's very effective. So I'm really curious to see how far it's going to get him until August.

My own level now is high intermediate - or at least it was when I was in Spain a few years ago to attend a language course (my speaking skills have definitely become a "little" rusty since then). I still have the textbook that I worked with there, it consists of 18 lessons with texts, grammar, exercises and so on. My plan is to do about 2 lessons a week in addition to the native materials I use.   

Today's work:
Turkish: vocabulary and grammar, 60 min
Spanish: textbook lesson 1, 30 min
Arabic: vocabulary and grammar, 30 min
Chinese: Anki, texts and grammar, 45 min

1 person has voted this message useful

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 52
08 February 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Today I'm so tired I won't be able to do more than the minimum.
So far that's been:
French: 50 min
Bengali: 20 min
Swedish: 30 min
Portuguese: 15 min
(all of them just watching videos or listening to the news)

I still need to work on Russian today, though I don't really know how much good it will do when all I want to do is go to bed and sleep...

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 11 of 52
09 February 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Today's work:

Arabic: 90 min (evening course)

Swedish: read Netdoktor.se's newsletter

Turkish: 15 min vocabulary trainer

Spanish: 30 min (textbook lesson 2)

Chinese: 20 min Anki

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 12 of 52
11 February 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Today I spent a few hours on the train. I've been used to studying during train rides since my time as a university student and for me it's always been quite effective. Probably because there are not many other things to do there...
So I used the time to listen to Chinese (40 min) and Spanish (45 min) music and to continue reading my "Kauderwelsch Bengali".
In the evening I finished lesson 14 of my Russian textbook (30 min) and listened to the audio to lesson 1-10 of my Arabic textbook (25 min).

Yesterday I watched my favourite Swedish gameshow (30 min) and listened to the news in French (45 min). Besides that I studied Bengali (30 min) and Portuguese (Unidade 6 of my Brazilian Portuguese script).

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 13 of 52
12 February 2012 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
When I listened to the news in Russian today I finally noticed some (small) improvement in understanding. I still can't really follow what is being said but I'm getting better at catching words and phrases here or there... That's a great motivation for me to continue my Russian studies!

Russian: 30 min (lesson 15, listen to the news)

Bengali: 45 min (listen to the audio to the Kauderwelsch book)

Swedish: 30 min (watch Vem Vet Mest)

Turkish: 30 min (vocabulary, lesson 10)

Spanish: 10 min (write an e-mail)

Chinese: 20 min (Anki)

Portuguese: 25 min (unidade 7, read an article about Tarsila do Amaral)

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 14 of 52
13 February 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Russian: finish lesson 15, listen to the news, listen to lesson 33-36 of Assimil (60 min)

Bengali: listen to the news, continue with Kauderwelsch Bengali (35 min)

French: listen to the news, read an e-mail (30 min)

Chinese: lesson 17 of my old textbook, listen to the news (30 min)

Swedish: read today's newsletter from Netdoktor.se

... and I booked my flight to Spain today!

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4728 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 15 of 52
13 February 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like you're doing really well! It feels so good when you realise that you're starting to understand more when watching/listening to native material! :oD

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 16 of 52
14 February 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
That's true, it's the moments when you actually feel that the hard work is paying off!

Though I don't feel like I'm working too hard now... when I look at what I've done recently I feel that I spend too much time on passive things like listening to audio material or watching videos. My next goal would be to be more active, write more, get to talk, etc.
But as for now I'm happy if I can maintain the amount of time I dedicate to language learning every day. I know there are times to come when I won't be able to do as much as I do now.

Spanish: reading and listening, 30 min
Turkish: grammar and vocabulary, 50 min
Arabic: sentence writing, listening, 25 min
Swedish: watching gameshow, 30 min
Russian: watching videos, 10 min

I might also continue reading my Kauderwelsch Bengali book tonight.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version