52 messages over 7 pages: 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>
Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 17 of 52
15 February 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
French: listen to the news, 45 min

Bengali: listen to audio to the Kauderwelsch book, 30 min

Russian: listen to the audio to Assimil lesson 16-22, 20 min

Swedish: watch gameshow, 30 min

Portuguese: read articles on DW's website, 15 min

1 person has voted this message useful

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 52
21 February 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
I had to take a few days off from the forum (unfortunately) - I didn't feel well and I had loads of other things to do.
So my language learning in the last few days has mainly been some listening to music and reading an article here or there. I know I should have done more but sometimes it just doesn't work out the way you want it to.

Hope to be finally back on track tomorrow!

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 19 of 52
22 February 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to travel to Moscow for a few days in May with a friend. It's my first time in Russia, so I'm really excited to go there! My friend speaks only about 3 words of Russian... That means it will be me who'll do all the talking. Let's hope my Russian will be good enough by then to get by. Besides getting some speaking practice it will also be a great opportunity to go to a bookstore and buy some Russian books.

Russian: 30 min
Turkish: 30 min
French: 30 min
Bengali: 30 min
Portuguese: 15 min
Swedish: 15 min

DreamCH
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 4504 days ago

18 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: German, Swiss-German*, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 20 of 52
23 February 2012 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
that`s a lot of languages mixed up, I`ll keep reading and see how you`re doing. So far it seems a bit like a counter-example of many posts here (stating that only a max. of 4 languages can be handled).

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 21 of 52
23 February 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
DreamCH, thanks for your comment! Somehow I like the mix (I usually get bored easily...). I know that I could be more successful with certain languages if I restricted my learning to only a few of them but I only learn languages for fun anyway so it's ok for me that way.

Only when I know I'll be travelling to a country where one of my target languages is spoken (as Russia and Spain this year) I feel the need to do some very serious studying because it's just great to be able to communicate in your target language without having to rely on English!

Spanish: write an email, listen to music, 45 min
Arabic: Kauderwelsch Arabic (audio), 45 min
Bengali: Kauderwelsch Bengali, 30 min
Swedish: watch TV show, 30 min
Turkish: vocabulary trainer, 20 min
Russian: listen to the news, 15 min

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 22 of 52
25 February 2012 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Today I had enough time to spend on my language learning, only I couldn't use all the material I would have liked to because I'm not at home during the weekend and I couldn't bring all my books... only my Russian textbook. For the other languages I had to stick to the audio on my Ipod and whatever the internet has to offer.

Russian: Assimil audio, Russian textbook, 65 min
Arabic: Kauderwelsch Arabic audio, 30 min
Spanish: listen to music, read articles online, 45 min
Turkish: listen to the news, 20 min
Bengali: Kauderwelsch Bengali audio, 30 min
Swedish: watch gameshow, 30 min
French & Portuguese: listen to songs on Youtube

Thinking about it, I still need to work on Chinese tonight...

Edited by Kat0 on 25 February 2012 at 9:49pm

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 23 of 52
26 February 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday night I managed to spend 20 min on Chinese before going to sleep. That's not much, especially considering that Chinese is one of my weakest languages and not exactly one of the easier ones. But it's better than nothing and I hope I'll be able to dedicate more time to it after my trip to Russia.

Russian: grammar, Assimil audio, 40 min
Turkish: vocabulary, 20 min
Arabic: Kauderwelsch audio, 20 min
Bengali: Kauderwelsch audio, 20 min
Read Wikipedia articles and listen to songs on Youtube in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Swedish

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 24 of 52
27 February 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Russian: 15 min
Arabic: 15 min
Bengali: 15 min
Swedish: 30 min
French: 30 min
Spanish: 15 min

Yesterday I bought a book on language learning (it looked interesting and I just couldn't resist...). I've only read about 80 pages so far and there are a lot of statements that I don't agree with but I still hope that I'll find some useful tips in it.
Today I went to another bookstore (it's not entirely my fault, I had to wait for a friend) and found the last book of the Harry Potter series in Spanish - for way less than half of the original price. Of course I had to buy that, too... now all I need is time to read it. Maybe after I finish Stieg Larsson's "Män som hatar kvinnor".

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version