52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 25 of 52
28 February 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Tonight I met with the people from my Arabic course, not to speak Arabic, but to cook a Syrian meal with the help of our teacher (she was born and raised in Syria). As expected, we spent the evening speaking German but it was fun and at least we learned some things about Syrian culture.

Chinese: listen to TargetChinese podcast, 40 min
Spanish: listen to music, 30 min
Arabic: listen to the audio of one of my textbooks, 15 min
French: continue reading "Le comte de Monte Cristo", 15 min
Turkish: texts and grammar, 30 min
Swedish: watch part of an episode of "Så ska det låta", 20 min
1 person has voted this message useful

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 52
29 February 2012 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Bengali: dialogues, grammar, audio, 65 min
French: listen to the news, 30 min
Russian: dialogue, grammar, audio, 30 min
Swedish: watch gameshow, 30 min
Portuguese: texts, grammar, vocabulary, 30 min

I have now eleven weeks left to prepare for my trip to Moscow. I'm going to repeat the texts and grammar in my textbook and start with lesson 37 of the Assimil course on Monday.
In addition to that I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to get the Kauderwelsch Russian book. It should be a good source for all the typical "tourist" phrases and vocab I might need.

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 27 of 52
01 March 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Today I attended my Arabic course (90 min) but I didn't have much time to spend on other languages today.
Only 20 min Spanish and about 10 min Turkish.
Maybe I'll do some reading (Swedish) before I go to sleep...

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 28 of 52
02 March 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
I've run out of Portuguese resources... I've just finished the script from my Portuguese course (long long time ago) today and I haven't decided yet how to continue. The script only covers the most basic stuff and I don't feel comfortable with only using native material from now on. At that point I think I still need some kind of textbook, in order to improve both my vocabulary and knowledge of grammar.
Assimil has recently published a German-base book on Brazilian Portuguese (which is what I'm more interested in) so maybe I'll order it online (unfortunately the bookstores in my hometown don't have it). Unless I find something that looks better to me... I haven't been very successful with my Assimil Russian so far but I'm going to give it another try, too.

Portuguese: 15 min
Bengali: Kauderwelsch Bengali, 25 min
Spanish: 30 min
French: listen to some songs on Youtube
Read some articles on Wikipedia in Spanish, French, Portuguese.

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 29 of 52
04 March 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
I'm very happy to say that today I finally managed to finish my "Russisch mit System" Russian textbook! That means that tomorrow I can start with Assimil Russian again, starting with lesson 37.

For all my other languages I listened to some audio or watched videos on DWs and BBCs website, listened to songs on Youtube, read articles on Wikipedia, etc. for the last 2 days.

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 30 of 52
05 March 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
I placed a major order on Amazon today... Assimil Brazilian Portuguese, 2 CDs (one French, one Brazilian Portuguese music), 2 graded readers for Chinese,... Can't wait for the stuff to arrive!
I didn't order the Kauderwelsch Russian as I read that it only comes with some weird kind of phonetic alphabet instead of cyrillic. That's not really what I want actually... well, we'll see.

Russian: lesson 37 (and 2) of Assimil, repetition of lesson 1 of Russisch mit System, 60 min
French: listen to the news, 30 min
Bengali: text and grammar (lesson 2 of DSAL), 25 min
Chinese: listen to the news, 15 min
Turkish: vocab trainer, 10 min
Read Wikipedia articles in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish.

Edited by Kat0 on 05 March 2012 at 9:19pm

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 31 of 52
06 March 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Turkish: texts and vocab, 40 min
Russian: Assimil lesson 38 (and 3), 30 min
Spanish: start reading Harry Potter 7, 30 min
Arabic: write sentences, 25 min
French: watch an episode of "The Big Bang Theory", 20 min

Today I found out that the DVDs of the 4th season of "The Big Bang Theory" I purchased at the Dubai airport some time ago are not only in English but as well in French and Spanish. That's going to make for some hours of fun learning!

Yesterday night I finished reading the book on language learning by V. Birkenbihl and I still don't know what to make of it. Maybe some of the tips in it will prove to be useful (I might try one or another) but in general it left me quite dissatisfied. Some of her statements I strongly disagree with... The book came with a CD that contains some trial of her computer-based language courses. I haven't tried that yet.

DreamCH
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 4504 days ago

18 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: German, Swiss-German*, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 32 of 52
06 March 2012 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
how would you use the Birkenbihl method? I read the book and just use the decoding method so far a bit.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version