52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>
Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 33 of 52
07 March 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
DreamCH, thanks for asking! I haven't yet decided how to exactly use the Birkenbihl method... and for which language. I might choose Bengali in order to try the decoding method. As soon as I've made a plan I'll write it down here.
How do you like the decoding method? Do you think it works for you? Do you use it for all of your languages or just one?

Bengali: texts and grammar, 30 min
French: listen to the news, 30 min
Russian: Assimil lesson 39 (and 4), 35 min
Swedish: watch gameshow, 30 min
Portuguese: listen to the news, 15 min

1 person has voted this message useful

DreamCH
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 4504 days ago

18 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: German, Swiss-German*, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 34 of 52
09 March 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
it`s just a bit too early to give a summary on my approach, but a bit of decoding helps me to get in touch with the structure of a language the fast way.

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 35 of 52
10 March 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
@ DreamCH: I see. Anyway, whenever you feel like it's the right time to write about your approach I'll be very interested to read it!

My Amazon order (most of it) arrived today and with it my Assimil Brazilian Portuguese. Of course I had to do the 1st lesson right away! As expected, it was fairly easy but there are still 99 lessons to go! On the cover it says that the book should take you to B2... hm, we'll see about that.
After that followed lesson 40 (+5) of Assimil Russian and a bit of Bengali... didn't have time to do more because I went to the movies to watch a French film (original version with - unfortunately German - subtitles).

Yesterday all I did was:
Spanisch: 40 min
Französisch: 30 min
Arabisch: 25 min
Türkisch: 10 min

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6100 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 36 of 52
10 March 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Kat0]

Don't you think maybe that you're attempting too much?

In total, you list 10 languages (in addition to your native language). Some of them
very different i.e. Bengali, Arabic, Mandarin.

Unless you have time to study on an almost full-time basis, and attain a high level in
all of these languages, would it not be better to focus on maybe 2 languages (i.e. you
mention French and Swedish), and abandon the others until you achieve fluency in these
2 target languages.

Otherwise, you run the risk of never being able to competently speak any of them. Just
a suggestion.

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 37 of 52
10 March 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
@ aodhanc: I understand what you are trying to say and I totally agree with you that focusing on only one or two languages would lead to better results in those. I've given this a lot of thought in the past and there are several reasons why I chose to try to do it the way I do now (that doesn't mean I'm doing it right).

The first is, if I was to drop most of my languages, I'd have no idea which ones to keep and which ones to drop. Keep the ones I already speak fairly well (i.e. French, Spanish, Swedish - but that's 3 again already)? Keep the ones that are most useful to me? But besides English none of my languages is particularly "useful" to me at the moment unless I travel to a country where it's spoken (which would be Spanish and Russian this year).

I know my choice of languages may seem a little random at first but it isn't at all. There's a certain reason and story behind every of my languages so I'm somehow attached to all of them.

Then, considering I usually have 2-3 hours a day for language study, I could spend 60-90 min on one language every day - and I know I wouldn't do it. I'd still do maybe 30-45 min of each and then move on to something else. Just because it bores me to spend to much time on the same stuff.

In the end it comes down to this: I learn languages for fun. I don't have to achieve anything in any of them. If I do it's great (and actually I do think that I am making some progress) but it is not a must. There already are enough "musts" in my life so if language learning is no longer fun I might drop the whole thing.

I'm aware that many people will not agree with my approach but as often said on this forum everyone has to find out what works for himself and I guess that's what works for me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 38 of 52
11 March 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Russian: Assimil repetition of lesson 37-41 (+2-6)
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 2
Arabic: Usrati audio lesson 1-7
Swedish: watch gameshow
Chinese: TargetChinese Book 1, lesson 1+2
Bengali: DSLA lesson 4
Spanish: listen to Amaral’s Gato Negro/Dragon Rojo 1

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 39 of 52
12 March 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 3
Russian: Assimil lesson 42 (+7)
French: watch an episode of Big Bang Theory
Spanish: watch an episode of Big Bang Theory
Chinese: TargetChinese Book 1 lesson 3
Bengali: DSAL lesson 5

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 40 of 52
13 March 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 4
Russian: Assimil lesson 43 (+8)
Turkish: grammar and vocab (lesson 11/12)
Spanish: watch an episode of Big Bang Theory
Arabic: Usrati lesson 10
Swedish: watch gameshow
French: listen to Zaz
Chinese: repetition of lesson 1-3 of TargetChinese Book 1
Bengali: repetition of lesson 4-5 of DSAL

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version