52 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 41 of 52
14 March 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 5
French: watch an episode of Big Bang Theory, listen to music
Bengali: DSAL lesson 6
Russian: Assimil lesson 44 (+9)
Swedish: watch gameshow

1 person has voted this message useful

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin, Bengali, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 42 of 52
18 March 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I'm on vacation now which is really great in general but not so great for my language learning. It's hard to find enough time for the textbooks when there are so many other wonderful things to do... but I'm doing the best I can.

I brought my two Assimil books (Russian and Brazilian Portuguese) but I had to leave my other textbooks (Arabic and Turkish) and books (Swedish and Spanish) at home. For Chinese and Bengali I use online resources now so I thought this should be no problem - I was wrong. For some reason the TargetChinese website doesn't work here, I've no idea why. At least the DSAL Bengali website works without problem and I finally even found the audio to the dialogues (yeah!). Besides that I have my Ipod with new French, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish music on it.

Today I did lesson 8 of Assimil Brazilian Portuguese and lesson 47 (+12) of Assimil Russian. Then I repeated lesson 1-3 of TargetChinese Book 1 (I copied the dialogues before I left) and lesson 1-6 of DSAL Introduction to Bengali. In the evening I watched Turkish TV for about half an hour (I can't watch any Turkish channels at home so that's a great opportunity though I don't really understand much).

I wonder what everybody else does when they go on vacation and cannot bring all their language learning stuff?

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 43 of 52
24 March 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I've just come back home from my vacation and it was really great and relaxing but it is definitely about time to go back to normal. Tomorrow I'll enjoy my last day off from work and hopefully have time to spend it with the languages I neglected while I was away.

Russian: Assimil lesson 50 (+15)
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 14
Spanish: watch an episode of Big Bang theory
Bengali: DSAL lesson 7
French: listen to music

Sirkka
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5486 days ago

35 posts - 39 votes
Studies: French, Sign Language, Russian, Dutch, Esperanto, Thai, Modern Hebrew

Message 44 of 52
24 March 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Kat0 wrote:
I wonder what everybody else does when they go on vacation and cannot bring all their language
learning stuff?

Even though it's really hard for me I pick a language and allow myself to take just one textbook (ok, make that two,
oh no, maybe three if it's a lightweight Assimil book ;o) ). Other than that I try to concentrate on the audio parts of
studying while I'm on vacation or take my learning materials in pdf format on my smartphone.

Usually, this is more than I'll ever need, but it still leaves me feeling deprived somehow.

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 45 of 52
26 March 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Sirkka wrote:
Usually, this is more than I'll ever need, but it still leaves me feeling deprived somehow.

Sirkka, you said it perfectly, that's exactly how I feel about it! I know I don't need everything but I want it to be there in case I do need it.

I wonder what I'm going to do on my trip to Spain when I have to carry everything I take with me all day long (I'm going to walk part of the Camino de Santiago).

Today:
Russian: Assimil lesson 52 (+16), listen to the news
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 16, listen to music
French: listen to music
Spanish: listen to music
Swedish: read newsletter
Bengali: DSAL lesson 8
Arabic: Usrati lesson 8-11 audio

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 46 of 52
27 March 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Russian: Assimil lesson 52 (+17)
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 17, listen to music
French: listen to music, read (Le comte de Monte Cristo)
Spanish: listen to music
Swedish: watch gameshow
Arabic: Salaam lesson 1-6 audio

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4728 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 47 of 52
28 March 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Kat0 wrote:

I wonder what I'm going to do on my trip to Spain when I have to carry everything I take with me all day long (I'm going to walk part of the Camino de Santiago).

Put everything you can onto an ereader, mp3player or tablet and take that with you instead...? You might have to scan some stuff in and turn into a .pdf file but will be better than carrying it all I'm sure...

Kat0
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4550 days ago

89 posts - 97 votes 

Message 48 of 52
28 March 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
WentworthsGal, that's a great idea you've come up with! I've never thought about scanning stuff in before but it would definitely make sense. I have an Ipod touch that I take with me all the time and it's possible to read pdf files on it... not the most convenient way but in that case it won't matter (it's not going to be a convenient trip anyway...).

I was really disappointed today when I tried to access the TargetChinese website and it wasn't working here either. So it's not just a "local" problem as I supposed last week... I still hope it's only a temporary problem - otherwise I'll have to think of another resource to use for my Chinese studies.

Spanish: watch an episode of Big Bang Theory, 20 min
French: watch an episode of Big Bang Theory, 20 min
Swedish: watch gameshow, 30 min
Russian: listen to radio programme, 30 min
Portuguese: Assimil lesson 18, 10 min
Bengali: repetition of DSAL lesson 7 and 8, 10 min
Turkish: textbook lesson 12, 15 min

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version