Diglot
United States
Joined 4543 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 9 of 12
23 March 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Cool to see a log from a fellow learner in Dutch! You have a nice mix of languages on your plate there.

I'm curious: as a native German speaker, how do you/did you feel about pronouncing the diphthongs (eu, ui, etc.)?
Sometimes I'm still not sure if I'm saying ui correctly in a word. It seems to have a few different pronunciations.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4547 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 12
23 March 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
When I started learning German I found the pronunciation mostly logical. I believe there is only one sound that really bugs me in German and that's the weak "ch" and I occasionally don't stress a word properly. Your vowel sounds and diphthongs mostly have cognates in our language, or we're used to them from English (which is generally the preferred foreign lingo) so the problem in pronunciation is usually vice versa. (The Dutch like devoicing a little too much, though, so I doubt it's hard to detect a Dutchman speaking German).

The tricky bit for Dutch people in adapting to German is getting used to the cases, which disappeared from our language a while back and thus are unfamiliar to any Dutchman born post WWII. The syntax is also similar, but slightly different which means that we cannot exactly use Dutch word order, but we always switch a few things - leading to comprehensible sentences but improper German. The cases are usually what people are annoyed by the most and which gives it its perceived difficulty in Dutch eyes.

Vocabulary is also very similar. There are a bunch of false friends, though. I would say that apart from English, German is the easiest language for me to speak without being completely looked at quizzically.

Sirkka
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5486 days ago

35 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Sign Language, Russian, Dutch, Esperanto, Thai, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 12
23 March 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
@Hekje: Dutch diphthongs are not difficult per se for a native speaker of German - once you get used to the fact
that some of them have no equivalent in German. -ui is a very good example: Without proper listening, one might
mistake it for the German -au sound. It's a different sound though, which does not exist in German as such. It takes
some practice to get those sounds right, and a lot of listening to Dutch audio, but for me as a German speaker I
would say it's definitely doable.

@tarvos: Thanks for your input, which was very helpful. I would second what you said about syntax and vocabulary.
The many similarities always give me sort of like a "homey" feeling with Dutch, although I've barely started studying
the language. I think I will work through some more lessons in my "Nederlands voor Duitstaligen" book and then try
to write some Dutch log entries. Gotta start using the language at some point!

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4528 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 12 of 12
20 April 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Actually huis is pronounced with a vowel sound that doesn't really exist in English (or German for that matter)... There is a sound in Norwegian that is close I believe, the oy (I don't have a keyboard with which to do the dash through the o), but I can't think offhand of anything that has exactly the same vowel sound

I'm so glad I found this explanation! The moment I read it, it clicked for me (I studied Norwegian in a past life). It sounds like I have some refining to do to get the exact sound, but this is a good place to start.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version