United States
neprenezpasmonj
Joined 4503 days ago

15 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
13 April 2012 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Um... Yeah. I decided to start a language log. Hopefully, it will remain mostly on
topic. (on my part. Any potential commentators can feel free to talk about whatever
they like. :D But I digress...) I have a (slight) tendency to let my mind wander when
I'm typing. So I never really know where I'll end up.

Anyways. I wanted to start this log to keep me publicly on track. Life has been hectic
for the last couple weeks, so studying has taken a hit. Every day sees a little bit of
French. But it's been in tiny increments lately. So I'm trying to get back to the
quality and quantity of studying I was doing.

I've basically ignored the Anki on my phone for the last week. And worse, I've been
ignoring Assimil. Pretty much all I've done this week has been to occasionally ask
Google a question in French or type some random sentence in, just to see what I'd find
or if it was phrasing people actually use.

On the plus side, a few weekends ago, I was child-free and spent pretty much the entire
time watching French movies on Netflix. The result was a chaotic soup of French
sloshing around in my mind for the next few days. Words and phrases picked up from or
reinforced by the hours and hours of movies I'd watched. Said words and phrases were
almost entirely unrelated to anything going on, but they were present enough that I had
to stop myself from responding to people in (relevant, though simple) French more than
once. Which was awesome :)

Since there seemed to be an actual result from that weekend, I'm pretty excited about
the recent "Super Challenge" and what might come of it.

More to come later. For now, I must go.
Bonne soirée, y'all :P

Edited by markdtmj on 13 April 2012 at 12:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

JujuLeCaribou
Diglot
Thailand
myonlinefrencht
Joined 4543 days ago

28 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Thai, German, Dutch

Message 2 of 4
13 April 2012 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Hi Mark !

I wish you good luck with your French and your log.

I've been on your blog "NePrenezPasMonJus" :your level in French is definitely higher
than beginner! You should change your profile.....

BTW where are you with the Klingon language ?

Salut !

markdtmj
United States
neprenezpasmonj
Joined 4503 days ago

15 posts - 24 votes

Message 3 of 4
13 April 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks! And for the correction on said blog. =)

As far as the level on my profile, I'm rubbish at self-assessment. I definitely still
feel like a beginner, though. When I'm writing there's still too much checking references
for conjugations and vocab and whatnot to not feel much otherwise. One of these days,
I'll go back and try to answer all those questions for judging our levels.

The Klingon WILL happen! As soon as I have time to go through the glossary and pick out
all the vocab that could be of use in writing a crappy, sensitive song :D

Unfortunately, from what I've seen it's mostly things like "weapon," "blood," and "honor"
and stuff along those lines. But I'll see what I can do.

markdtmj
United States
neprenezpasmonj
Joined 4503 days ago

15 posts - 24 votes

Message 4 of 4
16 April 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm getting a good head of steam up for the Super Challenge. In other words, I'm kind of starting early...
Though I won't start counting things officially until it actually starts. I watched a couple movies on the
netflix Saturday night. The first went pretty well in terms of listening practice. The second started hours
past my normal bedtime and was therefore useless... I'll watch it again some other time. Also read the
first chapter of Le Comte de Monte-Cristo last night. It was... slow going. I'm sure I missed a lot and I
couldn't summarize it in French... But I remember most of what happened. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version