Canada
Joined 4528 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 12
20 April 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
안녕하세요!

I really want to learn Korean! I took a break and now I'm back. This time I won't stop, I will speak fluently Korean! I'll try to spend a lot of time on this language and keep learning! Why do I want to learn Korean? Because I'm a big fan of kpop and kdramas! And I'm really tired of always searching for subtitles! I also really like Korean culture and the country! It looks so interesting and I just can't get enough of Korea! I always tought since I discovered Korea a lot more then just knowing it's a country in Asia that the language is absolutely beautiful! It would be so much easier for me if I could speak Korean!

I want to be fluent before 2016, so I still have a lot of time but it would be fun if I managed to be fluent before 2014...

Do I have ressources (books, site, etc) to learn Korean?
I have an Assimil book in French but I have to admit I don't really like it... The verbs aren't conjugated and the explanations are difficult to understand... And I think that the polite form is really too much high...
I also have 2 books in English from the same person; Shin SunJeong. The first one is like an activity book, it reminds me of the books I had when I first start learning English at school... And I really like that book, it's really easy to understand and you learn vocabulary and grammar! The second one is just a book with vocabulary in it... It says that their is 1000 key words in it! I really like that book too, since their is some activities in it too! Those books are fun!

I also use the site talktomeinkorean.com which is really awesome! I learn a lot with that site even if I'm only at the level 2! And the lessons are fun and interesting, I learn about Korean culture too! And one of my friend who is learning Korean likes it as much as I do!

If anybody knows any good books, sites, etc. (french or English) can you tell me which one?
I also want to buy a dictionnary Korean-English or ''Coréen-Français''!

How will I study?
- I will follow the lessons on talktomeinkorean for sure! At least one a day?
- I want to try learning 5 words a day...
- and listen, speak, read!

I didn't really knew what to write in my log... So it's not really interesting... But, I'll try to continue writting!

1 person has voted this message useful

nekouma
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4497 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Hindi, German

Message 2 of 12
20 April 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi freebutterfly,

I've recently bought 2 of the "Integrated Korean" series books (Advanced Intermediate). I don't know about the other levels, but I like it so far (even though those books are mean to be used in classroom, as they are no answers to exercises). I think that there are workbooks for beginner or intermediate levels, you may try to check it.

I also like Talk to me in Korean. A lot of the things I had already learned became clear after listening to the lessons available on the website :)
Their "Intermediate Iyagi" are also a good way to improve your oral comprehension, as they come with the transcript. I think it's a wonderful idea they had. I won't hide it, Talk to me in Korean is for me one of the best language learning website I've come across.

I don't know if you'll be *fluent* before 2014 or 2016, but one thing is sure, you'll surely be way better than now, if you study everyday. That's already a wonderful thing :D

Good luck and never give up.

freebutterfly
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4528 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 3 of 12
21 April 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Thank you!
I'm not sure too that I'll be fluent but if I can understand the majority it would be nice!

Integrated Korean? I'll look for it!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4708 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 12
21 April 2012 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Rest assured, your log is interesting.

I think this site by Seoul University is very nice to study with. I think at level 2 TTMIK it might still be of use to you.

In general there's a great collection of free websites here. Maybe you'll find something you like.

If you stay this passionate about Korean you'll definitely get to the point where you understand Kdramas etc. One thing I think will be good to keep in mind is that it's a long, but mostly enjoyable journey.

freebutterfly
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4528 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 5 of 12
21 April 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the site!

I know it's a long way... but, I'm enjoying it!
It's so fun even if it's hard sometimes!

Kevin Hsu
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4578 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 6 of 12
21 April 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
Get Routeledge Grammar on Amazon. It's really clear and concise.

nekouma
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4497 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Hindi, German

Message 7 of 12
21 April 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
I also like the Sogang course:
http://korean.sogang.ac.kr/
(even though I don't like the fact that I had to use IE to enjoy all of the functionalities).

About Integrated Korean, you can read users reviews on Amazon.
Click here for the beginner course :D

By the way, I wrote that I don't know if you'll be fluent by 2014 or 2016 but... sure, you should aim at it :)
If you can find some people to talk with, you'll progress faster too!

freebutterfly
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4528 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 8 of 12
21 April 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
nekouma wrote:

If you can find some people to talk with, you'll progress faster too!

Where I live it's going to be hard to find someone who speak Korean! But, I guess I still can try to find penpal and talk on skype to practice..

Kevin Hsu wrote:
Get Routeledge Grammar on Amazon. It's really clear and concise.

It looks interesting! I will probably order it! Thank you!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version