lafeeverte
Triglot
France
Joined 4431 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English

Message 1 of 7
30 April 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I graduated from a French high school and I am currently living in France for my
studies. Actually this year I decided to take a gap year to learn languages and to work
on myself. So that I can go back to university in september without hating the courses.
I will study 100 hours French and 100 hours English each month until september 13, 2012.

I started this journey on April 13, 2012. And so far I studied 35 hours English and only
8 hours French. I have 13 days to reach my goal for this month.

I haven't studied anything today, so I hope I will add a few hours to french by the end
of the day

1 person has voted this message useful

lafeeverte
Triglot
France
Joined 4431 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 2 of 7
30 April 2012 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
voila ça fait 10 heures de français!

my progress so far:

French: 10/100
English: 35/100

i will now study for a few hours English through French, so i will count the hours for
English and French both.

and i think my last sentence is wrong, if somebody reads it; please feel free to correct
my mistakes, i would really appreciate it.

lafeeverte
Triglot
France
Joined 4431 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 3 of 7
01 May 2012 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
So I have 12 days left and far more way to go. I don't think I will be able to make it to
100 hours for each language but I will add the hours I couldn't study to the next round.
And then I will catch up I hope.

I didn't study English through French as I had planned, but if I do so for the next 12
days, it would be easier to catch up later on. I don't know, we will see...

French: 11/100
English: 40/100

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4448 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 4 of 7
01 May 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
lafeeverte wrote:
voila ça fait 10 heures de français!

my progress so far:

French: 10/100
English: 35/100

i will now study for a few hours English through French, so i will count the hours for
English and French both.

and i think my last sentence is wrong, if somebody reads it; please feel free to
correct
my mistakes, i would really appreciate it.

The sentence that you're worried about isn't too bad. I could understand what you were
trying to say. Perhaps it would be better like this:
"Now, I'm going to study English through French for a few hours. I'll count these hours
for both English and French."

Good luck with your studies, and don't put too much pressure on yourself! I have
similar ambitions; I want to reach a high enough level of French to go to French
university next year. Right now I am studying French intensively, as well getting ready
for my end of year exams. So I have similar experience. Sometimes, it's better to take
a break!

Edited by Swift on 01 May 2012 at 9:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

lafeeverte
Triglot
France
Joined 4431 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 5 of 7
01 May 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
hey! thanks for your encouragement.

Yeah, I know that I can get the message across but it isn't enough for me anymore. I
mean, I can understand almost all of the words in a movie or in TV series without
subtitles, and I read novels in English without using dictionary but since I had no
obligation to use English actively, I am just good at understanding. For example, now
I'm trying to write in English and I'm uncomfortable.

I think if my comprehension skills were as bad as my writing skills, I would be much
more relaxed. Because,
you know, it would be like that's all I can, I'm doing my best, I just started to
learn. But in my case that's not true. Because I could have done better. But I release
the guilt now, and try to do something to make that up.

I actually live in France right now, and I went to college here last year but this year
I thought it would be better to take a break. So if you have any questions about the
college life in France etc, n'hésite pas s'il te plait!

Edited by lafeeverte on 01 May 2012 at 10:41pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Swift
Ireland
Joined 4448 days ago

137 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Russian

Message 6 of 7
01 May 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I see. Well perhaps it is best just to recognise those things, but not have too much
pressure behind them. For instance, you've decided you want to improve them, so do that.
Just don't kick yourself when you stumble or feel uncomfortable. Those are all natural
things!

Having said that, my standard in French is only B1/ B2, so I don't have too much language
experience. My advice is moreso general positive energy. I blame my mother :P.

Merci beaucoup, bien sûr dans l'avenir j'en aurai des questions. Maintenant, je me
concentre aux examens et sur mon niveau de Français. Tu peux voir mon "log" dans ces
forums!
2 persons have voted this message useful

lafeeverte
Triglot
France
Joined 4431 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes

Message 7 of 7
02 May 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I decided to immerse for the next 5 days. I'm planning to:

-Listen 2 times to the audio book of The Hunger Games while following the words on the
book. It roughly makes 22 hours in total.
-Read The Hunger Games aloud.
-Watch Amélie 3 times
-Watch Amélie 2 times and try to imitate their accent in my favourite scenes etc.

I'll do some other things of course when I get bored of them. But basically
that's it. I'll be done till monday

Edited by lafeeverte on 03 May 2012 at 5:24pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version