Diglot
Austria
Joined 4669 days ago

34 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: Turkish, Slovak

Message 1 of 2
14 May 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
I already had a journal for Turkish & Azerbaijani, but I decided to start a new one for several reasons:

- I quit leaning Azerbaijani. It is so closely related to Turkish that learning both at the same time was really confusing for me.

- I took a long break from learning Turkish for personal reasons and forgot most of what I had already learned.

I'll write more about my new Turkish and Slovak goals and materials.

1 person has voted this message useful

yassi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 4669 days ago

34 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: Turkish, Slovak

Message 2 of 2
14 May 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
SLOVAK

Reasons:
I live very close to Slovakia.
I really like Bratislava and go there about six times a year.
I really like the Slovak language, I think it sounds and looks nice.
It is said to be the easiest slavic language and I hope it's a good gateway to Russian later on.

Goal:
A2 - I want to know enough to order food, ask for directions etc. I don't plan to read Slovak books (other than very easy childrens' books for practicing an learning).
A tourist-level Slovak is definitely enough for me.

What I've done so far:
Finish 19 of 20 Lessions of "Slowakisch - Einstieg für Kurzentschlossene (A1) - Hueber"

Materials:

Slowakisch - Einstieg für Kurzentschlossene A1 (ISBN 978-3190052219)
A book with dialogs, exercises, grammar explanations and a vocabulary of approximately 500 words. Includes 2 audio cds.
I finished most of the book by now (19/20) and I really liked it. I plan to continue with:

Slowakisch: Lehrbuch für Anfänger und Fortgeschrittene (ISBN 978-3447052108)
A really good textbook. It includes dialogs, short texts, exercises, more vocabulary and good grammar explainations as well as 2 audio cds. Unfortunately there are no solutions to the exercises.
The book doesn't tell you the CEFR level, but I guess it's A2.
After finishing the first couple of lessions, I plan to use as well:

Kauderwelsch, Slowakisch Wort für Wort (ISBN 978-3894162726) with
Slowakisch - Wort für Wort. Kauderwelsch-CD (ASIN 3831761434)
Those little Kauderwelsch books teach the basic grammar and words you need to "survive". They offer really good thematical word lists and example sentences.
The grammar overview is usually really good as well.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version