Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6098 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 9 of 13
09 June 2010 at 2:43am | IP Logged 

So you are trying to learn how to read the Quran in Arabic :)

Actually, you need at least as much as twice these words to understand it + a lot of
grammar study.

1 person has voted this message useful

Lone_Wolf
Groupie
United States
Joined 5145 days ago

60 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 13
09 June 2010 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
Hashimi wrote:

So you are trying to learn how to read the Quran in Arabic :)

Yes, I certaily wish to read the Quran, BUT reading the Quran is not my only reason for wanting to learn Arabic. I am studying Arabic because I have a sincere interest in the language itself. But, I would also like to read the Quran, both for its own sake as well as to practice my reading of fusha.

Quote:
Actually, you need at least as much as twice these words to understand it + a lot of
grammar study.

These 569 words occur so frequently in the Quran that they make up approximately 82% of the entirety of the Quran. That's nearly 65,000 of the 77,000 of the Quranic vocabulary. I believe if one can understand 80% of the text then the remaining 20% should be a piece of cake (or bakhlava).

Also, yes I am definitely studying grammar as well. The grammar is really important and I have a number of books and other sources that use I for my grammar studies.

Edited by Lone_Wolf on 09 June 2010 at 4:48am

Hashimi
Oman
Joined 6098 days ago

362 posts - 529 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*
Studies: English, Japanese

Message 11 of 13
09 June 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 

I think with these 569 words only, you cannot understand anything in the Quran. You know
that the most 100 common English words (is, of, for, see, be, have, there, etc.) account
for more than %50 of any English text. But can I understand simple English texts if I
know these words only?

If you can send me this list, I will tell you whether you need more words or not.

Edited by Hashimi on 09 June 2010 at 5:47pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6278 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 13
09 June 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
He needs more words; most of the content is carried in that last 18%.

Lone_Wolf
Groupie
United States
Joined 5145 days ago

60 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 13
10 June 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Guys, I really do appreciate your concern but this is not a big deal at all to me because I am not attempting to fully study or understand the Quran...at least not at this time. Besides, I managed to get a hold of a word-for-word translation of the Quran and I got it for assisting me in picking up some Classical Arabic vocabulary and with seeing the grammar rules I am studying through textual usage. But thanx for your concern all the same.

It is the methods of vocabulary memorization that I am interested in with this thread. I really liked the advice of Iverson and RedBeard.

Thanx guys

Edited by Lone_Wolf on 10 June 2010 at 2:01am

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version