bertlanguage
United States
Joined 5158 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 4
09 June 2010 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
For those of you who use Anki, what settings (study options, etc.) do you use?

Right now I have my deck set up to test gender and translation for nouns I've come across in Assimil NFWE.

Thanks for any replies.
1 person has voted this message useful

schwa
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5284 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian

Message 2 of 4
09 June 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
I learn 20 new cards per day, one session is set to 10 minutes without card limit. I made one change to the standard settings, which is the one explained in the Anki documentation, namely, the introduction of a failure multiplier of 0.1 with setting the repeat time for mature cards to 480.
I'm using Anki to learn German -> Italian, I'd say 95% simple words (with gender/verb irregularity) and 5% fixed phrases or useful grammatical constructs. I've started about six months ago (using Anki, not learning Italian) and am up to about 2700 seen cards and still 4200 cards to come (I'm adding almost every day and delete whenever I really feel I know a word).
That said, I'm getting a bit nervous, if you can call it that, because I like to learn all the due cards every day and at the moment it takes me almost 4 sessions (which I try to split over, say, three hours) to get it done, which may be due to the facts that I both try to read a sample sentence with a word whenever I don't remember one and tend to add most every new word I encounter to my deck, however rare it might be.

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5104 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 3 of 4
13 June 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
I've been using Anki with the default settings right now; I'm only adding things slowly so I haven't had much of a need to tweak it. I've been using it for about a week now on "round 2" (I was using it ~2yrs ago for Mandarin, and I can't remember what the settings were then). The defaults seem to work well for me.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5474 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 4
13 June 2010 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
I do something that's a double-edged sword. I changed it to 100 new cards a day, session 120 minutes, and 1000 reviews. Do I ever get to those extremes? Maybe the cards/day, but definitely not the other two. It's sucks when I miss a day (shared computer, and my dad uses it a lot), and then the reviews pile up quickly.

Since I'm learning Korean and Japanese, I use full sentences because I need to see how things are used in a sentence. (For kanji, I just have the kanji on the front and the meaning on the back.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version