Switzerland
Joined 4874 days ago

71 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: German*, Swiss-German, English
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch

Message 10 of 11
15 January 2012 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
csidler wrote:
Wouldn't you just say: ich dachte, dass er das machen sollte... Problem solved...

This approach keeps it simple - I think it's the most common way of saying it (in verbal communication).

Edited by fnord on 15 January 2012 at 1:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

yassi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 4670 days ago

34 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: Turkish, Slovak

Message 11 of 11
20 January 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
LanguageSponge wrote:
I've got a question about this. Someone I know wrote the following clause...

"und jetzt weiß ich mehr über Hockey, Snooker und Baseball, als ich träumen hätte
lassen."

... and I corrected it to "hätte träumen lassen". I was then told that this was wrong
because they'd checked with a native (Austrian) German speaker who said that hätte
träumen lassen" sounded awkward. I am quite stubborn and don't believe this - opinions?

Jack

Hi,

"Hätte träumen lassen" does indeed sound a little strange to a native speaker of Austrian German, as the word order in Bavarian dialects is "drāma låssn hätt" i.e. "träumen lassen hätte".

As we usually speak and hear dialect in our daily lives and do not read or hear (e.g. on TV) sentences like this in Hochdeutsch very often, the word order of the dialect sounds natural to us. I know the right word order in Hochdeutsch is "hätte träumen lassen", bur when blogging or writing a letter I would write "träumen lassen hätte", in a school or professional setting (e.g. writing a paper in my job) I would write "hätte träumen lassen" ... but it does really sound a bit strange.

Don't trust the Austrians when it comes to elaborate German grammar.

Best Greetings from Austria :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version