Groupie
Norway
Joined 4802 days ago

88 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 9 of 18
10 January 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
There is some cities in Brazil who got a lot of Italian immigrants as well, and have had Italian speaking communities. Some Brazilians from there *might* pick up Italian more or less by comparing it to their local accent of Portuguese, but. Most of those actually either speak a little of it, either actively or passively by associating with some sort of Italian speaking community.
I've practiced listening to Brazilian Portuguese listening to netradio's from some of Brazil's Italian accented cities, who perhaps too include São Paulo, who is the accent I've studied, and seem to understand the accents closes to "Italian" best.
Do I suddenly understand Italian? Nope! But, I think it might be simpler to learn to pronounce the language, if I were to study it in the future.
What speaking with an "Italian" accent mean in Brazil, seems to be using 5-7 Italian like words, pronouncing "nh" as Italian/french "gn", and in the state of Sao Paulo some say stuff as "um Gato, dois Gato, treis Gato, Muitos Gato".
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6422 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 18
11 January 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
KimG wrote:
pronouncing "nh" as Italian/french "gn"
aren't these, along with ñ and ny, just several ways to refer to the same sound in writing?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5051 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 18
11 January 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if they are the same thing or a bunch of very close sounds. Is Russian soft n ('нь') the same thing or a different but close one?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6422 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 18
11 January 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
That's how the Portuguese nh was taught to me, at least.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5051 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 13 of 18
12 January 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I think we can safely assume they're the same thing then.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5707 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 14 of 18
12 January 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
The Portuguese "nh" and the Spanish "ñ" are essentially the same sound.

The Italian immigration to Argentina was huge, almost as big as the Spanish during the XX century. I know lots of argentinians and almost all of them have at least one Italian ancestor line.

It brought a huge influence in the accent, among other things, as well.

Edit:

jaliyah wrote:
So my question is this: if I have no prior knowledge of either Spanish or Italian, and I go to Argentina and learn Spanish there, would it be easier for me to understand Italian than it would be for speakers of other Spanish dialects? (because Spanish and Italian are so close anyway)

Sorry. About the original question, my answer would be: No ... but, of course, some sound similarities might help a very tiny little bit.

The point is, I don't know any research proving that argentinians learn Italian easier than other Spanish speakers. I might add that this is not one of the things argentinians like to boast and they like to boast a lot ;-))

Edited by Flarioca on 12 January 2012 at 12:41am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5836 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 15 of 18
12 January 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
KimG wrote:
pronouncing "nh" as Italian/french "gn"
aren't these, along with ñ and ny, just several ways to refer to the same sound in writing?

I don't know about NH, but the GN and Ñ always seemed slightly different to me. All three are represented by the same symbol in the IPA (as is Catalan NY), but then Italian GL, Catalan LL and Spanish LL are also all represented with one symbol, but the Italian and Catalan palatal Ls are definitely different from the Spanish one...

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5051 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 16 of 18
12 January 2012 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Yes. I think the problem with the IPA is it was first designed to address English, and everything else came as afterthoughts and extensions but they didn't really care / agree on how to do it so we ended up with the current 'thing'.

Actually, I teach only the necessary IPA symbols to English students because the pronunciation is so wildly different from spelling that you need transcriptions. With everything else (Spanish, German, Russian), the natural alphabet and good descriptions of some phonemes and allophones are usually enough.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version