Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 17 of 18
13 January 2012 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Serpent wrote:
KimG wrote:
pronouncing "nh" as Italian/french "gn"
aren't these, along with ñ and ny, just several ways to refer to the same sound in writing?

I don't know about NH, but the GN and Ñ always seemed slightly different to me. All three are represented by the same symbol in the IPA (as is Catalan NY), but then Italian GL, Catalan LL and Spanish LL are also all represented with one symbol, but the Italian and Catalan palatal Ls are definitely different from the Spanish one...

BRAZILIAN NH is a nasal glide (Y as in English YES pronounced through the nose)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_palatal_approximant

ARGENTINIAN Ñ is [n]+[j] more often than not, exactly like in NI in English ONION. ;)
Peninsular Spanish Ñ is exactly like Continental Portuguese NH and French GN.
Italian GN is a geminate in Standard Italian: ññ; it is pronounced as a single consonant only in parts of the Italian North, but that's a regional pronunciation:
( ragno ['ra:ño] regional / ragno ['rañño] standard/Tuscan)

Edited by Camundonguinho on 13 January 2012 at 12:33am

3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5067 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 18
13 January 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Actually, we're probably facing the same issue as the IPA guys: some things just sound too similar, so unless you see an X-ray of a moving mouth or something you classify all of them as <whatever>. Then only some people can hear a difference, but then again it's a tiny one so those who can hear it complain forever because they're not paid attention any more.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version