Joined 6295 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 9 of 30
31 May 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
phouk wrote:
... So I adopted a semi-structured approach: I pick
one program to be the backbone of my learning, and follow that program systematically,
devoting some small amount of time to it every day until it's finished (at the
beginning, this was Pimsleur and MT; now it's the combination of Assimil 1951+1971).
For the rest of my time, I jump around between different materials to my hearts
content, in the safe knowledge that I'm making systematic progress with at least one
program. At least for me, this is working well - your mileage may vary.

I learn in a very similar manner. I tend to use Assimil courses as the backbone of my studies, but then allow myself to dip into whatever I want with the rest of my time. Some days that involves learning words from a dictionary or vocabulary book; other days, reading something that has caught my interest in one of my grammar books. This works for me, as the variety of resources tend to play off of each other quite well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6626 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 30
31 May 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
It looks to me like you are not doing very much on the weekdays. Some days you have only 25 minutes of activity. Couldn't you do some listening during your lunch? I think if you made Spanish a priority, you could find more time to squeeze in more input.

Personally, I don't think the music is going to help much. Most people listening to music aren't even hearing what's being said anyway. They are usually thinking about something else.

I suggest staying away from any translation activities. I've no idea what your word games are like, but if they are bilingual they are going to hurt you. You are far enough along in the language to be able to learn without needing any more translations.

15 minutes of Michel Thomas? Is that, like, half in English?

I like this quote!
Ashiro wrote:
However, I do believe I'm learning a LOT faster than the average class-taker or average language procrastinator.

That's kind of like saying, I'm faster than the slowest type of learner.

If you're not already reading it, I suggest you start reading the posts over at Spanish-Only dot com. Here's a good article from that site: You’ll Never Learn Spanish If It’s Not Part of Your Life

I hope my reply can inspire you to do more. Of course, I'm just trying to be helpful here, so please don't take any of my comments negatively.

eoinda
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5797 days ago

101 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 11 of 30
31 May 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I don't think jumping between materials is a problem. Í jump a lot myself and I'm a lot less structured in my
learning than you. Despite this (or because of this) I'm making rapid progress so you should be fine.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5758 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 30
31 May 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Keith wrote:
Personally, I don't think the music is going to help much. Most people listening to music aren't even hearing what's being said anyway. They are usually thinking about something else.

You'd be surprised...

Those of us who use it extensively learn a lot from it.

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5651 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 30
31 May 2009 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone. Some good points and I'll try to answer a few.

Music - I've found it very helpful indeed. I can't stop my mind from locking onto the words and deciphering the meaning. If I don't take a break or switch off then I get exhausted. So its quite the opposite problem - I find it hard NOT to listen actively to it.

Could Do More - Its true I could fit more in my day and I am slowly but surely cramming Spanish into every niche in my life. However, I also don't mention the obsessive compulsion I have to write little Spanish sentences on scraps of paper or say Spanish phrases to collegues (who don't know Spanish themselves but I just want to say it!).

Spanish Only - Its funny you mention this because the first 2 I already do! My computer is running in Spanish. I listen to Spanish-only music. I partially do no.3 but I find it taxing sometimes to read and comprehend all Spanish news. My ability isn't at a level where I can comfortably read a passage without needing to translate chunks of it. So one news article can take 15-20mins and gets very frustrating. Tip 4: I can't find any panish TV online but if anyone knows of any I'd be very appreciative! I do listen to some Spanish radio (Radio Nacional de España) Tip 5: I don't read enough books. I plan on getting some childrens and teenage books to solve this. Though it seems expensive importing books from Spain (15euros delivery is a lot!). Tip 6&7: I do have some MSN conversations with a Peruvian and some messaging with an Argetine woman on Interpals. I could do more but I'm chronically shy. Tip 8: Folling Spanish Twitter users is something I shall do right now!! Never thoguht of that!

Backbones - I'd say my backbone language materials are LiveMocha and Pimsleur and althoguh I don't listen to them everyday I find my comprehension and progression is good because I don't cease learning between each lesson.

Translation Games - They are indeed about translating and althoguh I see where you're coming form I do find them very useful. They've helped my verb conjugating-ability massively by drilling me in an enjoyable way. So much so that I plan on developing my own similar drills and games for pronouns!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6758 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 30
31 May 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
eoinda wrote:
I don't think jumping between materials is a problem. Í jump a lot myself and I'm a lot less structured in my learning than you. Despite this (or because of this) I'm making rapid progress so you should be fine.

Same here, I'm jumping between all kinds of sources myself.

What one course ignores may be fully explained in another, so it would just be stupid not to use several sources. I just can't imagine sticking to just one course at a time, e.g. doing Pimsleur for three months, then FSI, then Assimil et.c.

"Chaos" is my way. :D

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6752 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 15 of 30
31 May 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
First of all, you're happy about the way you're learning, which certainly is good. However, you don't seem very eager to adjust your methods (it's just my impression from this thread, I hope you don't mind) and it looks a bit like you're looking here for a confirmation that what you're doing is right.

Well, in my opinion you could do better, even if you're already progressing faster than ever (as someone in this thread has already written, it's not the best idea to compare oneself with the slowest type of learner).

I'm a similar type of learner as you, I never stick to only one method and I'm often on the search for something new. But for most of methods 15 or 30 minutes every week is in my opinion just not enough. You could do the whole Michel Thomas course in one or two weeks, without even working very hard, you could do Pimsleur more intensively - and you would probably be able to see a real difference. With 15 minutes a week it's going to take forever until you will have finished a few CDs. As someone in the thread has already suggested, I would take one method (e.x. Pimsleur or Michel Thomas) and do it every day (+ flashcards), and then add the whole other stuff (and the fun stuff, like movies and music). I'm also not sure if 2 hours of grammar exercises are very effective.

But well, everyone has his own methods of learning :).

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version