Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Losing basic Englis yet doing immersion?!

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 5968 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 9 of 17
17 May 2009 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comments! (no, my name isn't linked to Zelda, I used to be a real Pokemon buff tho. Pikachu ftw! sorry)
Recht, you can't access the sounds because I deleted them, they were thaaat old and not representative of my spoken English at all. However, I'll send you a link in private with a sound I recorded yesterday.
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageGeek
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5947 days ago

151 posts - 159 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Hungarian
Studies: French, Russian

Message 10 of 17
17 May 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
I think you shouldn't worry. After all you're learning just English. Anybody can do that.

What's the fuss all about?

Edited by LanguageGeek on 17 May 2009 at 3:45am

LittleKey
Diglot
United States
Joined 5792 days ago

146 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 11 of 17
17 May 2009 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Oh okay, cause a fairy fountain is something in Zelda =P. Pokemon is good too! And instead of just sending that recording to LanguageGeek, you should put it up as a sound so we can all hear it.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5851 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 17
17 May 2009 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
fairyfountain wrote:
Quite a few "immersion" gurus that need not be quoted here didn't talk much during their immersion phase.

But didn't you just say that your English is getting worse? That you can't say things that you used to be able to say? What other explanation is there for that?

fairyfountain
Zimbabwe
Joined 5968 days ago

254 posts - 248 votes 
5 sounds

Message 13 of 17
18 May 2009 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Quote:

But didn't you just say that your English is getting worse? That you can't say things that you used to be able to say? What other explanation is there for that?

naw it's okay now. I called a friend from Virginia who told me I sounded just like him and the words were rolling off my tongue. Now okay I don't get taken for a native all the time but like, more daily now, which is awesome enough. I guess the big down is followed by a big up. Talk about peaks and valleys. (and I don't know where the heck I got that Southern accent from).
Oh and btw I don't know whether voice chatting actually unleashing the power of all the listening I did or not, but it shure boosted my confidence, so thanks for the advice anyhow. I still think I should do lots of listening, but I may find some time for voice chatting ;)

Edited by fairyfountain on 18 May 2009 at 12:37am

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5755 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 17
23 May 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
If you don't mind me asking, why are you avoiding music? I can see why you might choose to avoid rap, but there are other genres...

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I think that singing along to songs you like is a good way to just practice pronounciation (placement of the tongue, etc) without the added pressure of having to create sentences.

CaoMei513
United States
Joined 6685 days ago

110 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 15 of 17
23 May 2009 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
You say you're listening to 'good' English.. but you also say you're not listening to music. English music is very, VERY real English. Mix up your immersion with some country songs (I recommend Rascal Flatts), pop and yes, even rap. The language used in music is just as important as spoken.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5851 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 16 of 17
23 May 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
The language used in a lot of songs is distorted to fit the tune. That means the timing can be wrong, the stress can be wrong, the grammar can be wrong and sometimes there's even made up words (eg "motorvating" in Chuck Berry's Maybelline. As he himself said, if "that cat Shakespeare" made up words, why can't he?)

Songs chosen by a teacher should be OK, but you can't chose them yourself.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version