Triglot
United States
Joined 5846 days ago

29 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Pashto*, English, Hindi
Studies: Bengali, Tamil, Indonesian, Turkish

Message 1 of 6
17 May 2009 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
For Everyone studddying more than 1 lanaguge, how long do you spend studdying each lanaguge? And how many languages is it possible to study at 1 time?

1 person has voted this message useful

Strannik
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 5509 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 2 of 6
18 May 2009 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
I used to study at school two languages (French and German).
I have heard that it is more efficient to learn one language at a time, so concentrate
on a language of your first priority and when you speak it at least, at intermediate
level, then you can start learning another language. Otherwise, it will be quite
difficult.
There is actually a good article about your question,
http://www.helpwithstudy.com/two-languages-at-a-time.html
so my opinion is just the same.

Hope it helps!

Afgjasmine16
Triglot
United States
Joined 5846 days ago

29 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Pashto*, English, Hindi
Studies: Bengali, Tamil, Indonesian, Turkish

Message 3 of 6
18 May 2009 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5749 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 6
19 May 2009 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
At one point I was studying biblical Hebrew, ancient Greek and Hungarian at the same time. Two of them were for uni so they took up a lot of time, and I kept up the Hungarian on the side. It worked out ok.

But those weren't my first additional languages, I was already fluent in English by then, had studied German in school (and forgotten it), studied Spanish to intermediate level while learning Catalan at the same time from immersion, and had learned a fair bit of latin. So by then I'd already learned the grammatical terms I needed, had left behind my L1 in a rather too permanent way for my liking, and had found the method of learning that worked for me...

When I lived in Spain and was studying Spanish while surrounded by Catalan on all sides, I thought it really helped to be studying both of them at the same time, even though they're quite similar and most people probably wouldn't recommend doing that (it's not like I had a choice in the matter though).

If you were learning your first-ever L2 it probably wouldn't be a good idea to just jump into two languages at the same time. I see from your profile that's not the case, so I say go for it, if you find you get confused then you can either leave one for a time to focus on the other, or you can alternate, or whatever works.

You'll probably find that the more you learn about how you pick up languages and how to get your brain to switch over to thinking in the language you're learning, the easier it will be to do so, then managing more than one won't be a problem at all.

Liz

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6917 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 6 of 6
20 May 2009 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
I try to spend a minimum of 20 minutes on a language a day (active studying, not just passive listening). I use a rotational system though, where I'll spend an hour or more on one of my languages; change the language of focus the next day, and so on.

So today I might spend 20 minutes each with Japanese, Indonesian and Korean.. and an hour with Spanish. Tomorrow, 20 minutes with Indonesian, Korean and Spanish. An hour with Japanese.

And I always listen to something when I'm driving - music, podcast/audio blogs, audio from a drama, etc. And usually listen to the same kind of thing when working alone or reading. True for Korean and Japanese. That gives me at least 2-3 additional hours of listening everyday.

I always dedicate 2 hours to Japanese on Saturday because I have more time. And most of Sunday, my wife and I try to create a Japanese immersion environment - drama, movies, whatever.

Anyway, as Liz suggested, since you are competent in a few languages already, then multiple languages shouldn't cause a confusion. I had a terrible time at first when I studied some Spanish together with French (a long, long time ago hehe). But after spending so much time with other languages, my brain can effectively partition and separate and little confusion takes place anymore - even with closely related languages.

Edited by andee on 20 May 2009 at 1:55am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version