oz-hestekræfte
Australia
Joined 5518 days ago

103 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish

Message 1 of 3
18 May 2009 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
I would really appreciate it if someone could clear up a few points for me.

1st. the plural "you"
I keep seeing both "De" & "I' used for the plural "you". Now I realise that "De" is also the formal version of the singular "you" - so would I be correct in assuming that plural "De" is also for formal use? If not how do I know when to use "De" and when to use "I"

Just on a side note, all the text book say that English has no plural "you" but I beg to differ. Although its not in common use, what about "ye".

2nd. Is "De" (you) pronounced exactly the same as "de" (they)? How subtle is the difference in pronounciation between "De" and "det"?

I was going to ask another question regarding verb tenses but I just found the answer myself. I actually couldn't get my head around it until I found the answer on an English grammar page for Danes. It seems I needed to learn some more English grammar before the Danish would make sence. haha

Edited by oz-hestekræfte on 18 May 2009 at 5:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6543 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
18 May 2009 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
"De" in 2. person is always formal (and rare). It covers both singular and plural, and the pronunciation is exactly the same as for the 3. person plural pronoun

"du" is always informal and singular, "I" is also unformal, but plural

"De" and "de": think English ee, but short
"det": darker sound with a more open mouth, almost the same as in English "this"
"dem": even darker, almost as in "them"

2 persons have voted this message useful

oz-hestekræfte
Australia
Joined 5518 days ago

103 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish

Message 3 of 3
18 May 2009 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Mange tak Iversen. Nu forstår jeg. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version