GoingGoingGone
United States
Joined 5508 days ago

28 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
19 May 2009 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
I have been studying French on my own with Fluenz for a little while but I still consider myself a beginner. I am studying for my own personal enrichment, not because I need it for travel or work (I hope to travel but it will be a year or more before I am able to again). So you could say I am learning language "for fun". I enjoy the Fluenz program so much that it is fun - and I want to dive into another Fluenz language at the same time. Remember, I have no time deadlines and am learning at any comfortable pace so I do not need to concentrate on one language and learn quickly.

There is a lot of debate - some people say it is helpful to study another language from the same family because of the familiarity. Others say it's too confusing and if you study 2 languages at the same time they should be very different.

So bearing in mind I am studying French now, should I add Italian or Mandarin? (When I learn Mandarin it will be to communicate verbally and I will learn Pinyin and speaking, not the characters - at least not at first).

Thanks for the advice. And if you want to tell me to go for all three you can say that also! I can't afford 2 more programs right now but maybe 1 now and 1 in a month.

Edited by GoingGoingGone on 19 May 2009 at 1:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5851 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 4
19 May 2009 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
To summarise:
Some people say X, others say Y. You will get both opinions here. Why not just do whichever one you feel like? Toss a coin if you're stuck!

milele
Triglot
Poland
Joined 5507 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Russian, English
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 4
20 May 2009 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
It's difficult to answer. For me studying two commpletely different languages at the same time is better than studying both deriving from the same family. Maybe it is because for me learning two languages which are so similar seems to be a bit monotonous. I think I could mix them up. And it is the reason why I am learning languages which really differ from each other

Ashley_Victrola
United States
Joined 5546 days ago

416 posts - 429 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Romanian

Message 4 of 4
20 May 2009 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
I think if you really are leaning towards the Italian but are worried it will mess with your French, just go for it. I had a good handle on French beofre starting Romanian (which has a similar sound to Italian and Spanish though apparently it is supposed to have maybe 45 percent in common w/ French) and it has not been a problem. I attribute this to the fact that unlike the other Romance languages, French has a BUNCH of silent letters and things the they don't pronounce which are pronounced in other langs (like the s at the end of words and such). Its easy for my mind to separate them because they don't have the same sound. On the other hand, I think that mixing Italian, Spanish, or Portugese together with Romanian might have scrambled things. I would get the Italian. You can benefit from knowing a Romance lang but won't get confused because it sounds different. While waiting to save up the money for the Mandarin, maybe just learn the alphabet in your spare time...I'm doing that with Arabic script in prep for Farsi, not because I am planning on learning it that soon but when I do, at least I'll already have a little primer on there. Learning another script won't mess with anything, it isn't vocab, and I almost think of it as learning code or something.

Edited by Ashley_Victrola on 20 May 2009 at 7:43am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version