Germany
Joined 6392 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 4
20 May 2009 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Suddenly these last days I am able to understand German like never before -- a hearing epiphany - not necessarily understanding everything but understanding how it all goes together and understanding a lot more.

How is this reached?

Shadowing? Immersion?

Don't know, but it works.

Do any of you experience that?
I had very different epiphanies in French - those were about meaning - a word would start a complete inner conversation about the meaning of other words and then cascades - as if I had eaten Umberto Eco and a dictionary for dessert. At speed.

That is why I learn languages, for those moments when it FLOWS.

Edited by zenmonkey on 20 May 2009 at 12:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

JS-1
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5823 days ago

144 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), German, Japanese, Ancient Egyptian, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 4
20 May 2009 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
These breakthroughs are what it's all about. I had neglected spoken French quite
badly, but I was travelling to France and decided I would spend several hours a day
for about ten days going through all of my French materials. This was all revision,
and I was already at the stage where I could read the language very well, but I
couldn't follow spoken French to save my life, although I had previously put a lot of
work into listening. I spent my time studying dialogues and trying to fine tune my
ear, and while I was making progress it was still tough.

When I arrived in Paris I had one of those moments when everything just fell into
place and I could finally understand spoken French. It was as if my knowledge from
reading and my listening practice all met up and everything made sense.

Of course this was just the result of all the work I had done, and was bound to happen
eventually. I just didn't realise that you can be so near your goal without realising
it.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6392 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 4
20 May 2009 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
JS-1 wrote:

Of course this was just the result of all the work I had done, and was bound to happen
eventually. I just didn't realise that you can be so near your goal without realising
it.

Exactly. One is on the edge and does not know it and then suddenly there is this river of über-understanding (and the word play that comes with it).

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6166 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
20 May 2009 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, this breakthrough usually happens after a long substantial input, I certainly have experienced it and still do at times, it's natural and it's one of the milestones.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version