Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5518 days ago

41 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 3
20 May 2009 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Hello. I'm currently studying Polish and in a few months time I should be at an upper intermediate/advanced level so from then on I can basically use native materials to keep it up, but I'm wondering whether learning Russian straight after it will be a bad move. They are obviously related, which is good in a way as the vocabulary is quite similar, but I'm not sure whether I'll get them mixed up if I dive right into it.

I have a list of languages I want to learn that's as long as my arm, and also the resources to learn them already, such as Icelandic, Italian, Spanish, Ancient Greek (always wanted to learn it), Japanese, and Finnish. I'm aware I'll probably never learn them all, but it's good to have them available if the need ever takes me. So just really looking for advice on people who have learned a language very similar to a 'just-acquired' language and any problems they had.

Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

milele
Triglot
Poland
Joined 5507 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Russian, English
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 3
20 May 2009 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Maybe it' s not an answer you expect but I hope you find something useful for you in it.
It's true that if you learn two languages originating from the same family at the same time it' s a great possibility that you can be confused. But as you' ve said you've reached upper intermediate/ advanced level in Polish. So in my opinion your good foundation in this language can come handy in learning Russian. I wouldn' t recommend starting both of them from the beginner level at once but in your situation choosing Russian is a really good option.
By the way I'm a native Polish and plese believe me, Russian is not as similar as it seems to be. I' ve been learning Russian for some years and now I tell you that they are differ from each other in many important matters. More than Ruusian Slovac and Ukrainian are similar to Polish and here you could mix them up

Tezza
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5518 days ago

41 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 3 of 3
20 May 2009 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they're distant enough for me not to confuse them, it's never happened before but I've heard it is possible to mix up languages when they're related, but I suppose if my Polish is good enough then I'll know (or should know) instinctively what is Polish and what isn't. Dziękuję bardzo.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version