Diglot
United States
Joined 6286 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 3
21 May 2009 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
In short, it's a matter of declension; "kein" (no, none) declines mostly like the indefinite article "ein." Kein is the mascuine nominative, keine is the feminine nominative and accusative (as well as the plural nominative and accusative), and keinen is the masculine accusative and the dative plural.

There are other forms, and you'll need to learn all of them. They can be found here:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kein
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageGeek
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5947 days ago

151 posts - 159 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Hungarian
Studies: French, Russian

Message 3 of 3
21 May 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Don't forger that there is also "Keiner" It can be dative/accusative feminine as in

"Man(n) kann es keiner Frau recht machen"

This sentence means "One cannot get it right for women" and " Men cannot get it right for women" simultaneously, because of the "Man(n)" in parenthesis ;)

"Keiner" also means nobody as in "Keiner kann mir die deutsche Grammatik erklären"

"Nobody can explain German grammar to me"

I suggest you occasionally glance over a German grammar, but don't learn this by rote. It will sink in after lots of reading practice and listen a lot too.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version