Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
25 May 2009 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Could you recommend me a freeware program to create AND PRINT my own flashcards? I decided to give the 'make-your-own-cards' idea one more try, but I would like to keep them hardware... I can't really learn from the computer screen (this is because I like to stroll around while learning and neither my desktop computer nor my notebook seems to be light enough to make it comfortable).

Also I'd like to be able to adjust the size of the cards so that they would fit in a special learning box with compartments I have.

Thanks for any help!
1 person has voted this message useful

Weizenkeim
Diglot
Groupie
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5944 days ago

70 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 5
25 May 2009 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Say, do you already HAVE flashcards on your computer? I use an online wordtrainer to learn my vocabulary (next to using anki, which as far as i know doesn't have a nice printing option, maybe with plugins?). The downside is, that its user interface is plain German (though it is very simple). But you can create or import your own cards (excel,csv..) and even decks other users put online for a lot of languages, and it has an extremely nice export option for printable flashcards, csv, excel sheets and the like. I guess there certainly is a (maybe better) software solution like this too, but if noone else will answer this thread, i might guide you through the interface if you like. (btw. url is vokker.net) >This< is, how it would look like
(sorry for my exessive use of brackets ( :D (regards)))

Edited by Weizenkeim on 26 May 2009 at 12:24am

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5678 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 3 of 5
27 May 2009 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Weizenkam - I had the same problem.

I just checked out Vokker (good site!) I get how the cards work from looking at your example... But I can only understand easy German, and I don't think the FAQ mentioned anything about imports? Can the Anki cards be imported into Vokker - or would they have to be re-entered again?

Weizenkeim
Diglot
Groupie
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5944 days ago

70 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 5
27 May 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
hi cordelia, until now I always did it vice versa, entering everything online, then exporting it and transfered it to anki. I just tried it other way round. I have to admit, it needs an inbetween step. Anki only will export wordlists in a textfile separated by tabulator, vokker can import xls, ods, textfile with semicolon as separator (csv) and some format of their own standalone software.
So I had to export the facts from anki into a textfile, reopen them in Open Office Calc (or Excel, if you use MS Office) and save them in an appropriate format.
Importing into the online trainer then worked very well. I did a short how-to, with notes which buttons to klick.
You can view it here

It requires a free registration to do anything there though.
The site started as a project of some students, who developed it into something really nice. Last year they sold it to some German company that sells word trainers. And those guys don't seem to be interested in developing it any further unfortunately. I once wrote an e-mail because russian entries can't be longer than 42 letters (I think cyrillic letters represent more space than latin ones in a database) but they only wrote me back, I should buy their software (about which I heard only, that it sucked) But it is still free and without annoying commercial, so I won't complain.

Edited by Weizenkeim on 27 May 2009 at 11:04am

Rafa v. 2.0
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 5 of 5
29 May 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Thank you!

And the added bonus is that I'll get some motivation to review my German. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version