Diglot
United States
Joined 5498 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 1 of 6
29 May 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I would like to teach myself French, but I am at a loss as to where to begin. I am a very dedicated learner, and thus I don't mind the difficulties that may come with the learning process. I would like to know what a very efficient way of achieving reasonable fluency is. As long as there is a guarantee that I can indeed suceed, I can and will stick to the plan. I absolutely adore French literature, and I would love to read books in French.

So, where should I start, and what can I do? What are the pros and cons of the popular methods available?
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6743 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 2 of 6
29 May 2009 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
This is a really great forum where you can find plenty of information about many methods, and French is one of the most popular languages to learn. Browse the forums, use the search engine - I guarantee you'll find all you want and much more ;). And if you'll have any specific questions, I'm sure many people will help you.

Just a few popular methods for French (you can use the names to search the forum):
French in Action
Assimil
Michel Thomas
FSI
Pimsleur

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5517 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 3 of 6
29 May 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:

Just a few popular methods for French (you can use the names to search the forum):
French in Action
Assimil
Michel Thomas
FSI
Pimsleur

Pimsleur and Michel Thomas are both aural.

Assimil and FSI are both text based with lots of accompanying audio.

Franch in Action is series of 52 or so 'video lessons' that can be found online. There are also accompanying textbooks, workbooks, and audio CDs but those are harder to come by.

Diglot
United States
Joined 5498 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Korean*, English

Message 4 of 6
29 May 2009 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I read some of the forum posts, and it seems like FSI and Assimil are very good methods. Which one would you suggest I begin with? Also, how much better is the older edition of Assimil?

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6743 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 5 of 6
29 May 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I would rather start with Michel Thomas (Foundation + Advanced only, you're perfectly able to do it just in one week), and than go to Assimil (I have the new edition only; from what I've read the older ones are better but I don't know how much).

But really, look for threads about it, just recently they've been threads about the very same topic with a lot of interesting information and good advice. There're surely threads about the different edition of Assimil, too.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5517 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 6 of 6
30 May 2009 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
I don't think you have to choose between the two (especially as FSI is free). Many people on this forum actually support the either of using multiple programs at once. That said, you may, after getting a feel of both programs, prefer to spend more time with Assimil as it much more approachable.

Also, I forgot to mention this earlier but there is also is a course called DLI French created by the American military's Defense Language Institute. I haven't tried it yet but from what I've seen it is as thorough as FSI plus slightly more enjoyable as it includes comics. If you're interested in this program, PM me and I'll send you a link.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version