Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5642 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
29 May 2009 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Well I'm getitng into the whole finding sentences using words I'm learning technique championed by AJATT but I've hit a tiny problem.

I have specific sentences I want to know in Spanish but can't find in common usage. Or not in the way Id say it in translation. Nor do I want to use a translator.

So that leaves me with asking people everytime - i.e. your good selves!

But....that's hardly fair. So is there a better way?

As a specific example I want to know how to say:

"Why do I listen to this sh*t"

Which I assumed would be...en español:

"Porqué escucho esta mie*da"

- apologies if the profanity is offensive. None is intended but its the only specific sentence I can think of right this moment and I just really want an answer! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ashiro
Groupie
United Kingdom
learnxlanguage.com/
Joined 5642 days ago

89 posts - 101 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 5
30 May 2009 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Why does the forum say there's a reply in here but I don't see one? :(

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6749 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 5
30 May 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I think it's because the member who has replied is "muzzled", so all the posts have in fact turned invisible...

Javi
Spain
Joined 5821 days ago

419 posts - 548 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 5
31 May 2009 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Ashiro wrote:
Well I'm getitng into the whole finding sentences using words I'm learning technique championed by AJATT but I've hit a tiny problem.

I have specific sentences I want to know in Spanish but can't find in common usage. Or not in the way Id say it in translation. Nor do I want to use a translator.

So that leaves me with asking people everytime - i.e. your good selves!

But....that's hardly fair. So is there a better way?

As a specific example I want to know how to say:

"Why do I listen to this sh*t"

Which I assumed would be...en español:

"Porqué escucho esta mie*da"

- apologies if the profanity is offensive. None is intended but its the only specific sentence I can think of right this moment and I just really want an answer! :)

I think that being able to express only a little portion of your thoughts and feelings in your target language is a natural stage in language learning. So I can't see the problem. In the time you spend looking for a translation of what you want to say, you could learn three expressions that perhaps you don't want to say now but you will tomorrow. So I prefer to learn new expressions as I encounter them. Another reason is that unless you got the translation from a native speaker or a really good dictionary, you can't be sure it is both correct and idiomatic, and be careful because sometimes even native speakers produce unidiomatic expressions when translating.

Edited by Javi on 31 May 2009 at 11:26am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version