mawkernewek
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5830 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Cornish, French, Russian, Welsh

Message 10 of 18
11 July 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
I've been going through FSI German at a ridiculously fast rate of a unit a day. I'm having time off from my PhD at the moment so I have time to do this. I'm going to Germany next week, and wanted to do a quick review to remind me of what I did when I took German GCSE a few years ago.

I already find the German case system and adjective endings come much more naturally to me than when I did German GCSE. I think I will go up to unit 12 or 13 in this blitzkrieg manner and then start at the beginning again doing the variation drills properly.

1 person has voted this message useful

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5929 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 18
11 July 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Wel, mar a nyns yw Davydh arta, Maw Kernewek!

An hanow ha "FSI German" a ri an dybyans dell dybav - Res yw dhis kewsel orthov y'n spas-nebyethow.

Fatl'a gavydh an wiasva ma?

Come to the multilngual lounge Mawkernewek.

TEL

mawkernewek
Joined 5830 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes

Message 12 of 18
11 July 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
I am indeed who you think I am. I can't quite remember how I found this website, just a search I think. It was here that I found about the FSI courses.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6758 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 18
11 July 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
mawkernewek wrote:
I've been going through FSI German at a ridiculously fast rate of a unit a day./.../I already find the German case system and adjective endings come much more naturally to me than when I did German GCSE. I think I will go up to unit 12 or 13 in this blitzkrieg manner and then start at the beginning again doing the variation drills properly.

I have sometimes done one unit of FSI German per day without too much difficulty. My guess is that it may give a better view of the "big picture", depending on what type of learner you are. I could never stand doing the same lesson over and over until "perfection" (and definitely not over-learning!) so instead I move on till I get a burnout. And I can always review the entire course again (or individual lessons).

mawkernewek
Joined 5830 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes

Message 14 of 18
11 July 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
My philosophy is similar, get the big picture first then consolidate later.

I do plan to go back to the variation drills and do them properly, although I find the substitution ones too tedious to do to the point of overlearning. I believe it is more useful to use what grammar you know to produce German sentences rather than overlearn substitution drills and memorise dialogues.

I'm currently on unit 12, I plan to complete it and the next unit and then start going back to consolidate. I suppose I should aim to be able to get through the variation drills without use of the pause button.

lduren
United States
Joined 5811 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 15 of 18
30 July 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
!LH@N wrote:
Hi everybody!
I am still wondering how one is actually supposed to use FSI, and how one should use it (or how you have used it) in a self-study invironment.
I'd be especially interested in Francois' response :)

Regards,
Ilhan

PS: If anyone has any experience, how would you recommend me using FSI Serbo-Croatian?

If i were going to study Serbo Croation, or any other language, I would begin using Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur in no particular order. When I felt sufficiently advanced I would begin regularly visiting www.sharedtalk.com and speaking with locals. I would add some vocabulary study in as well. After finishing Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur, I would then begin the FSI course from scratch, if one exists. By then I would be visiting www.sharedtalk.com regularly to practice speaking with natives. After finishing the FSI course i would figure out something else to study in my language of choice.

Si yo iba a estudiar Serbo-Croatian, yo empecia con Rosetta Stone y Pimsleur primero. Cuando aprendia mucho de la idioma, empecia con FSI. Cuando estaba estudiando FSI, visitia www.sharedtalk.com unos veces por la semana. Es Este Espanol Correcto?

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6670 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 16 of 18
30 July 2008 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help ;)
I will be using Pimsleur Croatian in combination with Ronelle Alexander's books and see how far I get. I also have several Bosnian friends and my sisters husband is Croatian (I made a deal with him, I'm gonna help him out with Turkish, and he's gonna help me out with BCS). I'll see how far that'll get me.

Regards,
Ilhan

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version