cezah
Belgium
Joined 5831 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Studies: French, Italian

Message 1 of 4
18 March 2009 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I have a question which will either be a really stupid one or will be really obvious, anyhoo here goes.
I was wondering if there is a straightforward list of how to use French verbs within different sentences.

For example in a 'Si' sentence you would use the imparfait and then the conditionnel eg.

"Si je gagnais le lotto, j'acheterais une nouvelle voiture"

Or, when you use the imparfait and then the pass compose eg.

"Je sortais le métro quand j'ai vu mon ami"

Its beginning to dawn on me that there are set rules and sentences (possibly more so than in English?). As a man who needs lists and things to compare, I was wondering if there was a set of lists of set rules, or 'templates' I suppose, for sentence structure that cuts through the usual 'learn this tense then learn this tense' and cuts straight to sentence formation. A list with formulae such as "Si+imparfait puis conditionnel", or "imparfait+quand puis passe compose".

All the books I have seem to rely on learning one tense after another which isn't exactly rocket science, the problem when putting them together correctly and learning how to use them is more dificult . Perhaps I'm overthinking it?

Thanks, by the way not sure if this is the right forum to post
1 person has voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5976 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 2 of 4
18 March 2009 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
You can't reduce the whole languages to templates but there are a few useful ones in expressions with Si:

Si + présent + futur simple
( L'hypothèse sur le futur <-> lack of certainty)

Si + imparfait + conditionnel present
( L'hypothèse sur le présent <-> impossible event i.e. for an alternative "present")

Si + imparfait ?
( Suggestion; let's do something )

Si + présent + présent.
( Expressing a commonly known truth )

The last one is often used in proverbs and sayings: "Si tu veux la paix, prépare la guerre."

Edited by Sennin on 18 March 2009 at 12:33pm

Gatsby
Diglot
United States
Joined 6104 days ago

57 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch

Message 3 of 4
23 March 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Try going to french.about.com. (Sorry, don't know how to make a link). There is a list titled "Sequence of tenses - Concordance des temps" that explains complex sentences and which tenses to use in subordinate clauses depending on what tense is used in the main clause (and if the action of the verb in the main clause precedes, is concurrent with, or is after the action of the verb in the subordinate clause).

cezah
Belgium
Joined 5831 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Studies: French, Italian

Message 4 of 4
06 May 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to return to this thread but I have found the link it is here and was just what I was looking for!
http://french.about.com/library/weekly/bl-concordancedestemp s.htm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version