Canada
Joined 5782 days ago

28 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: French*, English*
Studies: German
Studies: Russian, Portuguese

Message 1 of 7
21 April 2009 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys, I have a decision to make and would like your input.

I have recently changed degrees (from economics to philosophy) and I have to take a language class, I might
want to turn it into a minor. I have narrowed down my options.

German, Japanese, Latin, Ancient literature (Ancient Greek and Latin translated to English)

I'm a native speaker of English and French. Last summer I taught myself a fair bit of German. I've acquired
somewhere between one and two semesters of knowledge and may be able to teach myself the whole of the
language.

Here are my concerns

German: Super useful, relevant, but I might be able to teach it to myself
Japanese: Also super useful and relevant and I will probably never teach it to myself, but only a total of four
semesters of Japanese are offered (I'd have to take religious studies and economics classes on Japan to make a
minor). I'm also afraid that I'll never master it and forget it.
Latin: Should improve my English and French, there is a considerable volume of literature, but I'm afraid that I
won't be able to learn enough of it in four semesters for it to be useful for reading stuff (oh and it's dead)
Ancient literature: I get to read all the Ancient Greek and Latin classics, but it's all in English

The factors that I have determined as the most pertinent are the following:
Literary History
Improve my English and French skills (through the study of grammar)
Use within my philosophy degree
Business use

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5707 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 2 of 7
21 April 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
I guess this is highly subjective, but based on what you've said, I'd go for German- lots of great philosophers wrote in German, and it's also useful in business (or at least it was, before the current global 'crisis'). But other than that, I think the usual advice applies, which is to choose the one you feel most motivated by- because the more you enjoy it, the better your grades will be, which is kind of important at degree level.

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5817 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 3 of 7
21 April 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Again..I would say German.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6607 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 4 of 7
21 April 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Literary History

These languages all have a very rich literary history. German and - to a lesser extent - Japanese have the advantage that they also offer a lot of translations that might not be available in English or French. Also, Latin is very well translated in the sense that it'll be easy to find translations for almost any work you might hear of, which is not the case for German or Japanese.

Improve my English and French skills (through the study of grammar)

Latin beats the others hands down, but I don't think it's really the grammar that will help you much but the insight into vocabulary. On the other hand, the study of ANY language will broaden your linguistic horizons and you'll learn a lot about your own language by studying a very different language such as Japanese.

Use within my philosophy degree

German is very useful in philosophical fields; I have a friend who studies philosophy and regularly complains about his lacking German skills, because he needs it regularly. Latin can also be quite useful depending on what your speciality is (e.g. studying the philosophy of the middle ages without knowing Latin just doesn't make sense). Ancient Greek is probably the most important of all, but if I understand your post correctly, it's not among your options.

Business use

Japanese and German. From my own experience, four semesters is not enough to learn a language well enough to be able to do business, but in German you might at least get close (whereas Japanese requires years of intensive study).

As a final remark, Latin and Greek literature sure is interesting for a philosophy major, but if you do specialize in a field requiring those languages, you should really learn them. So I'd recommend opting for German, but if you have some time left, studying Latin and/or Greek on your own wouldn't be a bad idea.

multilingual
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5782 days ago

28 posts - 29 votes

Message 5 of 7
21 April 2009 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I do have the option of Ancient Greek actually, I might consider it now.

I can only receive four semesters of any of these languages, except German; it is all that is offered. Latin and Greek
have literature and poetry classes after though.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 6 of 7
22 April 2009 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
As a Philosophy major myself, none of the class that exist at undergraduate level require knowledge of any language other than English, as they're taught in translation. Still, it's a good choice on your part to include a language that is still relevant to the field. What philosophy classes are you taking? If you're studying modern philosophers, German and French are important languages.

multilingual
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5782 days ago

28 posts - 29 votes

Message 7 of 7
22 April 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Well, like I said, I'm transferring into philosophy, so I don't really know what I'm going to do. I believe I'll want to do
my honors thesis on the work of a French philosopher/French philosophers given that I'm fluent in French and have
so many great options : Satre, Camus, Beauvoir, Derrida, Baudrillard, Foucault, Barthes and so on.

I know the program includes classes on ancient and medieval philosophy among other things. I don't know how
much I'll like them.

If it helps any, after my bachelors, I intend on doing a Juris Doctor or a MBA, maybe along with a Ph.D in
Philosophy or Anthropology or the like.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version