Austria
ichestudiolangues.co
Joined 5776 days ago

98 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: SpanishA2, Swedish

Message 1 of 4
30 April 2009 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Okay, I really need help with this, I just can't find a way to maximize my study time.

Here is my situation:

I am going to be applying to the University of Vienna in a few months for a Translation program (English [my
native language], German and Spanish) To get into the University I have to prove my level of German at a level of
B2 at the time of application and to get into the Translation program I need to prove my levels of both Spanish
and German at C1. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_R eference_for_Languages)
I'm currently living in Madrid. I will be in Spain until July and then going to Austria.

I've just recently cleared my schedule so that it is completely clear for study time, as I have a LOT of work to do
to prepare myself for my application!

The trouble is, I don't know how to study effectively. I have been watching Spanish and German movies and TV
shows, listening to the radio, doing some vocabulary lists, language exchanges with Spanish people (I'm going to
try to do more of this now that I have free time because it is the best way to practice my speaking) and a bunch
of other random bits and pieces of studying. I'm currently at about an intermediate level in both languages.

I seem to know how to do all of the extras, but I need something constant. I've got a lot of books but they're
mostly old random language course books and I feel lost using them on my own.

I guess I'm just looking for any study tips at all, and any ideas for how to include a good constant program.
Something I can do on my own, a few bits a day to have something constant in addition to all of the extra stuff I
have.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 2 of 4
30 April 2009 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Are you *really* wanting to do it as fast as possible? Or are you just asking for a decent study routine?

If it is the second, I recommend FSI Platiquemos, a SRS for vocab, doing 1 unit a week. Since you are intermediate, you could probably start around the middle of the course and save time and money.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6027 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 4
30 April 2009 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
you only have a few months? I'd concentrate on German. You're immersed in Spanish already. For German, it sounds like what you need is a comprehensive program that can get you from one level to the next in just a few months. Assimil does this. (Other than that this site is full of recommendations.) Is there an advanced version of Assimil "El nuevo aleman sin esfuerzo"? Advance a foreign language through another language. You'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Edited by Sunja on 30 April 2009 at 2:17pm

jessikt
Triglot
Groupie
Austria
ichestudiolangues.co
Joined 5776 days ago

98 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: SpanishA2, Swedish

Message 4 of 4
30 April 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies!

I picked up the Hugo Spanish Complete course today so I could have something concrete to work on a little bit
everyday for my Spanish, that's what was missing from my studying habit.

That's a great idea about the El nuevo aleman sin esfuerzo, that will definitely be easy to find here so I'll check it
out next time I'm out.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version