Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5672 days ago

92 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 7
04 May 2009 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
I am currently in my third year of highschool in the United States, and have taken Spanish each year without any outside studying. In order to avoid falling into the trap of neglecting the language people here have learned in school, I would like to study Spanish outside of class to supplement whatever I do in school. The problem is, I have no idea where to begin/continue. My course next year is AP Spanish, which is comparable to an advanced level (5th- and 6th-semester or the equivalent) college Spanish language course. Does anyone have an idea of what I should study in order to continue? I especially embrace advice from people who have taken this course before. ¡Muchísimas gracias!
1 person has voted this message useful

Minder
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
05 May 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
If you're looking to find out what types of stuff you'll be learning just go to your local barnes and noble and check out any of the preparatory books. Your library may have one that you can borrow. Your school library may as well.

I think our advice can be more tailored based on whether you're looking for a higher grade or for better command of the language.

Louis
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5672 days ago

92 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 7
06 May 2009 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
The grade will come if I have a command of the language, but a command of the language may not necessarily come with a good grade, if you get what I'm saying. I'm strictly looking for improvement in the language. Eh, I guess I'll look for some Advanced Spanish stuff.

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6763 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
06 May 2009 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Get yourself "Las cinco personas que encontraras en el cielo", read it, get yourself other books in Spanish, watch Spanish TV (www.rtve.es).
That will work out ;)

Regards,
Ilhan

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5865 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 5 of 7
07 May 2009 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
Do some active stuff like speaking to a native or writing something on a forum for Spanish speakers that caters for something you're interested in. High school studies tend to build up passive skills. I remember being sent to France to do a 'stage' (work experience), we were coming to the end of the second year of high school advanced French. We could read the philosophy, write impecable business letters, even have debates but could we interact with French people on a day to day basis? Kind of... but it was a struggle. Put the theory into practice I'd say.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6601 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 7 of 7
07 May 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
When I was in high school, I started having penfriends in different countries. That helped me to use my languages a bit more actively. Very few high school students want to write about philosophy or business.

The more you use a language outside the classroom, the better off you will be.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version