Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6845 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 1 of 4
04 May 2009 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Inspired by Rafa's thread, I'd like to hear your opinions about my accent in French too. What should I improve first? If you didn't know where I come from, what would you guess?

The recording is a short excerpt from Assimil.

Recording
1 person has voted this message useful

guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 6134 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, PortugueseC2, FrenchC2, Italian, English

Message 2 of 4
05 May 2009 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
While your accent is still far from completely polished, I think you have done a great work so far. I personally
couldn't tell where you are from based on what I hear, non-native of course but nothing gives you away as Slavic
in my opinion. Well done.

Now about improvable skills,
-Listen carefully to nasal sounds from your assimil lesson ("d'un endroit à un autre", "ne
dépend pas de la longueur", "en grande banlieue, vous pouvez
emprunter") and try to emulate them as best as you can, yours are still improvable.
-The alternate E sounds seem to be puzzling you a little, listen to the "prenez le métro" sentence in the assimil
and compare it to your own.
-I know intonation is something of a lost cause for us language learners, but here again try to imitate the French
cadence. You are clearly trying to, but still some steps to be covered so you sound more native.

Congratulations anyway.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5936 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 4
05 May 2009 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
I second what Guilon said. It's pretty damned good, and I wouldn't have picked Polish as your native tongue.

Congratulations, it's better than mine, and keep up the good work.

Thom.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6845 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 4 of 4
05 May 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your comments! Honestly, I didn't expect them to be so good. French intonation is not easy to me, especially in text like the one I recorded (later I'll try to record a dialogue - it's usually asier to imitate the intonation there). Nasal sounds are extremely difficult -I often don't hear the difference (or I hear it somewhere where I shouldn't.) I guess it may be an influence from my native Polish that has some nasal sounds too (but they're different). The "e" sounds should be easier, I hear the differences but when I speak / read I often forget where which sound goes.

Any more comments / advice?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version