Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5824 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 6
07 May 2009 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Hey everybody, I've been studying Norwegian for a bit now but am having a bit of trouble finding enough good
resources (right now my main book is Assimil's le Norvégien sans peine). I was wondering if I could use the
Swedish FSI course to learn Norwegian, as there isn't a Norwegian FSI. I know the spelling of words and some
vocabulary and accent are different, but would it still help?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6845 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 2 of 6
07 May 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't to that. It may improve your comprehension but you would probably end up with some serious interference problems while speaking/writing, especially if you're actually not going to learn Swedish.

Either switch to Swedish completely (if you haven't learnt that much Norwegian yet) and continue with Norwegian when you're already quite fluent in Swedish, or look for more Norwegian resources. Maybe you can try old Linguaphone course? There's also Colloquial and Teach Yourself, I don't know anything about the quality of those, though. You can also just finish Assimil (supplementing it with a grammar book) and move to original Norwegian texts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

michau
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
lang-8.com/member/49
Joined 6168 days ago

86 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, NorwegianC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Sign Language
Studies: Burmese, Toki Pona, Greenlandic

Message 3 of 6
07 May 2009 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
You definitely shouldn't use Swedish materials for learning Norwegian. The fact that these languages are mutually comprehensible may be misleading. They have different phonologies and different vocabularies. Say, Norwegian "å snakke" means to speak, and "å prate" means (more or less) to chat. There are similar verbs in Swedish, but their meaning is AFAIK swapped. So you can easily end up producing sentences that are incorrect, or have undesired meaning.

There is some quality material for learning Norwegian. For example textbooks: "På vei", "Stein på stein" and "Her på berget". They are meant to be used during classes, but it is possible to use them for self-study as well (you should be prepared that they don't use any language other than Norwegian though). If you buy them, remember about ordering accompanying CDs. "På vei" is for complete beginners, so you probably could start with "Stein på stein" or "Her på berget", I'm not sure what your level will be after completing Assimil. Anyway, classes using "Her på berget" lead to a level, where it is possible to take the Bergen test, which is a B2/C1 level exam.

I'll try to list online materials I used for learning in a separate post soon.

PS. I'm trying to improve my English. Please PM me if you see any mistakes in my post.
1 person has voted this message useful

Marlowe
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5654 days ago

24 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 6
07 May 2009 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I definitely agree with the others that this would be a mistake if your intent is to improve your Norwegian. A mixture between Norwegian and Swedish (AKA Svorsk) sounds quite strange to begin with, and this is going to be amplified tenfold in the case of someone who doesn't have a strong foundation in one of the languages.

Switching to Swedish would be preferable if you really can't find material in Norwegian, but judging from other Norwegian students here it should be doable.

Edit: I just wanted to add that if your only concern is comprehension, then it could work. But if you actually want to be able to speak/write, it's a very bad idea.

Edited by Marlowe on 07 May 2009 at 4:14pm

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6175 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 6
07 May 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
I would recommend getting Spoken Norwegian from Spoken Language Services. It is an older book but very good. I also recommend the Linguaphone Norwegian course. It is out of print, but ebay get copies every few months.

arbigelow
Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5824 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 6 of 6
09 May 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help everybody. Yeah, it might be easier learning materials-wise to switch to Swedish, but the main reason I'm learning Norwegian is because it's a heritage language my grandma never decided to teach my mom, so I'm pretty hooked on Norwegian;)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version