Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5686 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 1 of 3
13 May 2009 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Hi :)
I learnt French a while ago, but i didn't get much chance to speak it and practice so I now know it "Passively".I can read popular novels in French and understand about 90% per page but when it comes to speaking,although I have found that my pronunciation is exellent, but my ability to speak it in a more "colourful" way in pretty confined, meaning that I have a very basic active vocabulay but a huge passive one !and it's kind of frustrating to be able to read dexterously but speak like a beginer !
So I want some advices on how should I activate my vocab and please drop some exercises for speaking skils ;)
Thanx guys
Toufik/Algeria
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6845 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 2 of 3
13 May 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
What I use:
- speaking! Even if it's just speaking to myself (or thinking in the target language).
- SRS (L1 => target language) - some people don't like it because it may result in translating all the words more or less consciously, for me it works perfectly and it's a simply way to expand my active vocabulary,
- translating what I said: I say a few phrases in my native language (or, more often, in a foreign language that I know well) and I translate them into target language (without avoiding/paraphrasing idioms, advanced vocabulary etc., if possible). If there's something I don't know, I can check it later. I like this (even despite of the fact it's translation) because it shows me what words and expressions I don't know (when I speak in a foreign language that I already know quite well, I usually don't notice it - I just use another words).
- repeating or, more often, summarising the text I've just read. It usually forces to use the new vocabulary. You can use very short passages, like one paragraph, or speak about the whole book you've just read.

scott_c
Triglot
United States
Joined 5619 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 3 of 3
15 May 2009 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
Easy: you need to speak. Julie has some good ideas.

Interview yourself. When you stumble, look up an answer or two. Use them. Over and over. Mentally, you ought to be scrambling for tenses, words and finding them in memory (at a lag). The practice shortens the lag.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version