Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5760 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English, Russian
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 12
23 March 2009 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Since the beginning of this year I've learnt about 1500 words in Spanish, in one of those computer programs where you make repetitions every day. I took me much time, especially that I supported the method by writing flashcards which helped me to refresh the words. Anyway, it's obvious that this vocabulary is passive, I wouldn't use it in speech now nor would I be able to remember their meaning while listening to some fast speech. Any ideas how can I make them active? Is writing several essays with these words a good idea? Then I could record them and listen to many times. How do you activate your new learnt words?
1 person has voted this message useful

CaoMei513
United States
Joined 6787 days ago

110 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 2 of 12
24 March 2009 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Use them.

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6953 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 3 of 12
24 March 2009 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
For me, I find that I need to see the word a couple times in totally difference contexts before it "sticks" and becomes active for me.

So, I might have a word in my flash card program that I can see and instantly recognize the meaning of, but until I'm reading a newspaper or listening to an interview on the radio and come across that word actually being used by somebody, it just won't somehow click for me.

So, if you're like me, I'd say at this point you need to start getting input and looking for your new words outside of your safety of your artificial learning environment and go hunt them "in the wild" :)

.automne
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 5770 days ago

56 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: French

Message 4 of 12
24 March 2009 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
dmg wrote:
For me, I find that I need to see the word a couple times in totally difference contexts before it "sticks" and becomes active for me.

So, I might have a word in my flash card program that I can see and instantly recognize the meaning of, but until I'm reading a newspaper or listening to an interview on the radio and come across that word actually being used by somebody, it just won't somehow click for me.

Same here. I started out trying to memorize word lists, but I have largely abandonded this method. It's boring and not very effective.

Unprofessional opinion incoming, but here goes: Reading is great for accumulating a passive vocabulary (context really is important), while writing (or speaking if you're lucky enough to find an interlocutor) is probably best for improving your active vocabulary.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 12
24 March 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
.automne wrote:

Unprofessional opinion incoming, but here goes: Reading is great for accumulating a passive vocabulary (context really is important), while writing (or speaking if you're lucky enough to find an interlocutor) is probably best for improving your active vocabulary.

Sort of. I find that if I need to look up a word to write it, I simply don't use it as well - I don't have a proper feeling for it, its connotations, etc, and may well use it incorrectly. This is true both in my native English, and in other languages.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6214 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 6 of 12
24 March 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Some people keep diaries or journals in the L2, as a way of using it, which can also be a useful code.
Sometimes I put words and phrases into Google, to see them in context and also get a rough idea of how common they are.

Mariotkd
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5760 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English, Russian
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 12
25 March 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the answers. Actually I was thinking about looking for sentences using the words on google, on some official sites of course. That may help. Hunting for the words is also effective, but it takes some time to encounter all of the words you are expecting to read/hear:)

Toufik18
Bilingual Tetraglot
Algeria
Joined 5686 days ago

188 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 8 of 12
01 April 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
My methode is to write your own sentences (3 is enough) with the inclusion of the word in different context for each sentence, that way you'll find yourself using them in your speech without thinking about them.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version