Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5953 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 12
01 April 2009 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Want real sentences in real Spanish? Try the Corpus del EspaƱol.

Mark Davies of Brigham Young University has made a web interface for it.

I'm quite keen on the interface -- I use his version of the British National Corpus too.
1 person has voted this message useful

icing_death
United States
Joined 5803 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 12
01 April 2009 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
CaoMei513 wrote:
Use them.

Good advice!

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5654 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 11 of 12
12 April 2009 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
I like to look words up in a dictionary published in the language I'm learning as soon as I can (if my vocabulary is big enough.) I can repeat the heck out of a word and it just won't seem to stick unless I try to 'think' with it. I usually just make up a dialogue in my head but writing would probably be a good idea. I've also noticed that if I'm using a few different methods I'll usually see the same word presented a few different ways and at different times during my study. Seeing the same word at different angles definitely seems to help me remember it.

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6282 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 12 of 12
13 April 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I agree with the advice of creating a couple sentences using a new word. I use the SRS Mnemosyne to help me with vocabulary, and under most words (particularly verbs as I find they are the most difficult to learn how to use correctly) I include a short and memorable sentence using the word.

I don't know about other languages but for Slovak I have a book which is a hybrid dictionary/phrase book which for each word it contains it also list several sentences, often idioms, using the word. Quite helpful, I recommend trying to find something similar.

-Robert

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version