lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6633 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 10
28 March 2009 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
There is a lot of French reading material, but which are the most effective? I have heard that newspapers are useful, but they can be very formal and lacking in everyday expressions/vocab. Books have a lot of vocab, but sometimes the writing and conjugaisons can be complex (such as the use of fût). Childrens French books seem too basic for me right now. I've noticed that some bandes dessinées have a lot of colloquial vocab (such as Titeuf) and other everyday words, but the dialogue seems sort of basic. Usually, I use newspapers, but I feel like I am missing out on conversational vocabulary. What would you recommend for advanced intermediate learners that want to practice reading French and improve their vocabulary?
1 person has voted this message useful

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5919 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds

Message 2 of 10
29 March 2009 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Trashy French novels use the same language most French speakers use in everyday conversation. Plays and movie transcripts are also a good source for typical French conversation. Amazon.fr has a lot of the plays published in Avant Scene Theatre and Avant Scene Cinema.

tryna36
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6011 days ago

56 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 10
29 March 2009 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
I like the Petit Nicolas series. You can order them from Amazon.com.

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5865 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 4 of 10
30 March 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Camus is good, though probably not for everyday conversation.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5953 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 10
30 March 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
To a certain extent, whatever you want.

Material that is theoretically "good" may not really appeal to you, so you'll put off reading it.

Anyway, as every type of material has its own weaknesses, why not just mix your materials? Some of the verb tenses missing from comics will be made up for by newspapers, and much of the colloquial and informal vocabulary missing from newspapers will be in the comics.

Read (and watch, and listen to) a variety of material.

icing_death
United States
Joined 5803 days ago

296 posts - 302 votes 

Message 6 of 10
31 March 2009 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Keep up with the newspapers. Watch the TV news the same day you read. They will reinforce each other nicely. Do it until until you can understand the paper and TV news without looking up words (meaning you know enough to figure out everything by context). Then move onto whatever you most desire in the language.

Turbo
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5662 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, French, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, German, Japanese

Message 8 of 10
11 April 2009 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
I'd suggest taking a one year subscription of the French edition of the Reader's Digest. Anyway that's what I did. I got bored reading newspapers all the time. I also wanted to have a broader, more general vocabulary. At the same time, I didn't want to spend a lot of time learning words and phrases that I would never see again. I then remembered that when I learned English years ago, I used to read the Reader's Digest. The thing about the Reader's Digest is that:

- a variety of general topics are covered
- the language is not too difficult

I had stopped reading the Reader's Digest a long time ago. And on the rare occasions I had the chance to pick up a copy to read it, it was seldom the case that there's a word that I didn't know already. So it occurred to me that the Reader's Digest could serve as a benchmark of some sort of minimal requirement. In other words, my French (or any language that I study for that matter) should be good enough that I understand almost all the words appearing between the covers of a Reader's Digest issue. I therefore set myself the task of looking up every single word I didn't know already in the French edition of Reader's Digest during a one year period. It proved to be more difficult than I thought, meaning my French was not as good as I thought it would be. Anyway, in the end, the efforts were well worth it.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version