Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5707 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 9 of 10
11 April 2009 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Turbo wrote:
I'd suggest taking a one year subscription of the French edition of the Reader's Digest. Anyway that's what I did. I got bored reading newspapers all the time. I also wanted to have a broader, more general vocabulary. At the same time, I didn't want to spend a lot of time learning words and phrases that I would never see again. I then remembered that when I learned English years ago, I used to read the Reader's Digest. The thing about the Reader's Digest is that:

- a variety of general topics are covered
- the language is not too difficult

I had stopped reading the Reader's Digest a long time ago. And on the rare occasions I had the chance to pick up a copy to read it, it was seldom the case that there's a word that I didn't know already. So it occurred to me that the Reader's Digest could serve as a benchmark of some sort of minimal requirement. In other words, my French (or any language that I study for that matter) should be good enough that I understand almost all the words appearing between the covers of a Reader's Digest issue. I therefore set myself the task of looking up every single word I didn't know already in the French edition of Reader's Digest during a one year period. It proved to be more difficult than I thought, meaning my French was not as good as I thought it would be. Anyway, in the end, the efforts were well worth it.

Presumably you can now look forward to lots of French junk mail to read, for many decades after your subscription to Readers' Digest has expired... ;-P

Edited by Dark_Sunshine on 11 April 2009 at 10:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Turbo
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 5662 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, French, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, German, Japanese

Message 10 of 10
11 April 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Actually no. After my subscription was over, I might have received mail from Reader's Digest a couple of times asking me to resubscribe. Apart from that, I haven't received any French mail.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version