monkeykoder
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 6
30 March 2009 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
This may be an assumption on my part but I've been finding the most frustrating part of language acquisition is not being able to read in my target language. A good 50% of my native language was acquired through reading and of course I read voraciously in my native language. When attacking Japanese however there seems to be nothing that I can actually push my way through due to my limited vocabulary how have others broken through this (perceived?) barrier?
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6381 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
30 March 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
1) Easy/graded readers
2) Parallel texts
3) Dictionaries/translation tools, ideally pop-up ones.

For when you're a bit more advanced:
a) Read novels (or chapters, at first, if you want) in English, then in Japanese
b) Read a lot of books in one series

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5765 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 3 of 6
30 March 2009 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
I'd say you should pick one text (like a Wikipedia article) and fully dismember it. Get all those kanji and words stone cold in you mind. At the same time, read other stuff superficialy, resorting to dictionaries a lot but without worrying about new kanji or words, just try to understand it.

That's what I have been doing. Volte's suggestion still apply.

monkeykoder
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 4 of 6
30 March 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone here happen to know of some good reading material for when I get beyond consulting the dictionary every line? Young adult type novel series that aren't completely boring maybe?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5953 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 6
30 March 2009 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Have you considered manga? Comics are far more mainstream in Japan than most of the world, so you can get them on practically any topic, from karate to corporate politics, and from romance to Roman mythology.

monkeykoder
United States
Joined 5667 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 6 of 6
30 March 2009 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I actually have a couple Manga sitting around that I'm trying to work/push through it's just a pain trying to sift through certain parts where they've decided to write large parts in hiragana (yey kanji) there have been several points that I can't figure out enough context to even get help from native speakers (over the net). (I see you're studying Gaelic how is that? (it's one of those languages I want to put on my to learn list but I'm kind of afraid to))

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version